Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My two cents:
Master Diver rating keeps divers engaged. Gives them a reason for education and experience. A 'because it's there' sort of thing. Offers rationale for diving deep, or learning about nitrox, or drysuits, or navigation or whatever. Could you call it "Jumps through hoops and pays too much Diver"? Probably, but that's not the point. Could you call it " Knows his stuff and will help me if I'm in trouble Diver"? Absolutely Not. That's not the intent of this level of achievement.

There is no relationship between a NAVY master diver and a PADI master diver. The thought of thinking in those terms is scary.

To me, a master diver is someone who figured that they liked this diving stuff enough to want to become more proficient at it, and took the time and had the discipline to gain knowledge and experience to attain that added proficiency. The Master Diver cert offered the opportunity and structure to do so.

OP question: Should they call it something else? OK Maybe, but why? That part's all marketing, and should not affect anybody but those who choose to become, or not become, Master Divers. Who else should care? It's not like getting an MD or CPA, and being licensed to do something. It's more like being a Sir. Important to the Sir, because he went through the processes, but not so much for the rest of the guys on the boat.

I've got friends who come to the beach every available weekend to dive, and for some, the Master Diver carrot keeps them working on the next skill set or at least keeps them occupied in what may still be outstanding in what they'd like to accomplish. Can't see the harm in that.

Ed

Well, I like the idea of a pilot following all the rules. However, I would prefer a pilot who, when the **** hits the fan & they are faced with a unique situation, doesn't just keep doing the same old, same old, until we hit the ground in a spectacular manner, but will throw the book out the window & do whatever it takes to get the craft on the ground safely.

Someone like Al Haynes, who managed to land his United Airlines DC-10 without hydraulics in Sioux City, Iowa, in 1989 using only engine thrust. No one taught him how to do that.

Pretty much in the same manner as you, I would rather fly with a pilot who is happily married and wants to get home to his wife!!! :D

I always feel safer that way...!

When I hear any title that begins with "Master" I envision a seasoned veteran of his/her chosen field, educated and experienced.

The difference between a master electrician and a journeyman for example is usually years and thousands of hours of work plus education. Same thing for just about any trade.

I can see the need for different levels of certification in diving but I am starting to question the names they use. If I were to not have any knowledge of diving and someone were to tell me they were a "Master Diver" immediately, I would envision someone with years of diving experience and training, not someone who may have a year or two, or less under his/her belt and a couple of classes or passed a course after they got 50 dives.

This of course is my opinion. It is what I believe John and Jane Q Public think. As I said, the need for different levels is evident but the names really should be more in line with what you really are. Advanced open water diver. But master diver before you are an instructor? Don't think so. This is my perception.

I am starting to think this is more about marketing than anything.

How about AOW Level 1, 2 & 3 instead?

Again, my opinion. I don't think someone with a couple of classes and 50 dives should bear the title of "Master Diver". How about a new name?
simply this: "Master Blaster"

" ...not someone who may have a year or two, or less under his/her belt and a couple of classes or passed a course after they got 50 dives."

Well, if you consider that with some training agencies you can be an INSTRUCTOR with one year certification, from OW, and you just need 100 dives...
And many times these Instructor candidates had done the DM course not even as a interneship, "Hands on ", just the role play.
I think this a litlle bit more serious because they will be the ones educating the new divers.
In the end, and in my opinion, it's not the title, it's the experience that counts.

" ...not someone who may have a year or two, or less under his/her belt and a couple of classes or passed a course after they got 50 dives."

Well, if you consider that with some training agencies you can be an INSTRUCTOR with one year certification, from OW, and you just need 100 dives....

This is true, but does make the assumption that an instructor rating implies anything other than good basic skills and the ability to teach.

Being an open water scuba instructor involves teaching the basics. There shouldn't be any assumption that an instructor is an 'expert' in, or even proficient in, anything other than the basic/core scuba curriculum.

I have to say that I agree on all points here. I am PADI Master Scuba Diver with 100 dives to my credit. I am currently doing my Dive Master at the ripe old age of 49, I qualified OW in 1985 but I didn't dive regularly for the first 10 years apart from on one annual vacation, then I took 10 years off! I now live on the Mediteranean coast and dive twice or three times a week in the season. Am I the most competent and experienced diver on the plannet? Probably not but in getting from nervous OW to MSD in 9 months, I probably have as much or more recent experience as any diver I know, but I do feel a little uncomfortable with the title Master!

People shouldn't get hung up on titles. There really are only two types of sport divers. Those who dive on vacation every couple of years and those who dive whenever and where ever they can get wet. You can usually tell the difference without ever seeing what kind of plastic they have in their log book.

All rules and guidelines can be replaced in that fashion, which is not to say that alternate conclusions will be reached, we are talking about process more than result.

The experience in most fields is that replacing rules and guidelines with experience leads to less than optimal results with some frequency. That's why pilots have checklists and why physicians are starting to implement them as well. Experience is important for dealing with anything well out of the ordinary, but for the most part, it's far better for even the experts to follow a manual.

No one would suggest that a child start kindergarten and receive the first grade upon graduation with a PHD 20 years later no evaluations in between. As a PADI Master Scuba Diver with just 100 dives, it means I have taken a lot of courses and dives. All it means is that I can talk about a lot of places I have been diving. How many prospective divers would take a year, diving every day, spending $20K to become a "master diver" so it is a slow process of the acquisition of knowledge and experience and we like some sort of markers on the way. I know I have a lot of theory from the courses, and I know that I still struggle to become a better diver. I am now in a Dive Master course, as at that point, other people will start relying on me to know what I am doing. Regardless of course titles, I know most DM's spend a lot of time talking to people diving with them for the first time, and watch those new people closely on the first dives to try and gauge their ability. And I talk a lot about my experiences and my failures or mistakes or tough situations because as I often say, "I really dont want you to have to practice your rescue diver skills on me" So showing all of those cert cards and log books does tell a DM what courses you've taken and indicates some base level of knowledge. And even as the recreational diver, I do know that some DM's have impressed me, and a few have worried me. And that is why lots of people like to dive with the same Dive Buddy, or Dive group, its comfort level. But I usually go on trips alone, so I get the dive buddy of chance, and that too is making me a better diver. So don't angst over other people's titles, it really doesnt matter to anyone but themselves, have fun diving, know your own limits, and above all, be cautious when diving new places or with a new dive buddy and hopefully you've taken a rescue diver refresher course recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom