Masks cause drowning??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask the pool people to give it to you in writing as policy. If they cant do it. Take the mask!

Our public pool in Halifax has no rules on masks, fins, snorkel. Maybe it's because scuba courses are given there at times. Interesting thread. I never knew one could drown (unless unconscious) because of a mask.

I would sit down with the manager and have a discussion about the topic. LIsten tot their side, present your side and see if you can come to a calm, rational middle-ground. If you are always in the water with the child using the mask as you train them for snorkeling, I don't see where tehy could really argue too hard to not make some type of "exception". Offer to signa waiver or whatever. These types of "conflicts" are often solved by adults sitting down and discussing the issue rationally instead of taking the word of a minimum wage earner working a desk or sitting in a lifeguard chair.

I have also heard of masks being banned to discourage Voyeurism.

That is so sick!! I wouldn't have thought about that, but having it spelled out...it makes sense. What a world we live in. If someone has to go to a pool to view people in their swimwear, what's next.

I also thought that in my O/W and Advanced O/W classes, I saw so much stuff in the YMCA pool, it was disgusting (tissues, and other junk). Being quite a germaphobic, I don't want to go in pools anymore, period (no pun intended). I don't care about chorline's sterilization. It just all gags me. I also don't like my gear in the chorlinated water. It's rough on the equipment. I'd rather do salt water, or better still, fresh water quarries or the St. Lawrence for a soaking washdown after I clean salt water out........

Voyeurism........so much for my breakfast. That's getting as bad as some pervert going to the mall with a camera mounted on his toe. Sick people have to think this stuff up...

If you are always in the water with the child using the mask as you train them for snorkeling, I don't see where tehy could really argue too hard to not make some type of "exception".

The argument will be that if they make an "exception" for you, then other people will see the mask in use and expect to be an "exception" as well. It will be difficult to explain to a pool full of people why little Johnnie gets to use a mask, while Bob, Tommy, Dick and Jane can't. The only way that might work would be if some private pool time could be arranged.

...My community pool prohibits the use of masks (goggles are ok) if it covers the nose because, according to the bureaucrat I asked "water can be inhaled and cause drowning."

The real answer probably is because this rule has always been this way. I think if you look at the root of the problem, it was because kids in the past used cheap equipment (non-tempered glass), kids jump/dive into the shallow water, glass in the eyes, in the pool, etc. So much easier to eliminate the cause...

I don't know about the US, but in Canada I think most municipal pools prohibit the use of MFS unless the person is under instruction and the pool is rented for that purpose. Go figure.

I have also heard of masks being banned to discourage Voyeurism.
If someone does not want to be seen in swim wear, why are they in such at the pool?

As a courtesy to others, I always try to cover my fat well.

I used to work as a lifeguard at a YMCA about 5 years ago.

We had the same no mask rule. Goggles were allowed, but no masks. We wouldn't even let kids under 18 use snorkels.

We told swimmers the same thing the OP mentioned, but in reality, it was the liability insurance company that required us to have that rule.

I'm guessing most pools that have this rule do so because their insurer requires it.

Back
Top Bottom