Masks cause drowning??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somehow, I don't think the insurance company demands this of the pools.

First, from a perspective of laryngeal spasm, masks seal around the face. Inhaling water from a mask is very tough to do, because of this seal. Very little would come in, unless the mask wasn't sealing for some reason. It's much easier to get water into the larynx through the nose with goggles, IMHO.

Second, I've been using masks in pools for years, without a problem. If there were some sort of nation-wide insurance company problem with it, this would happen in all pools.

Third, I have yet to see any evidence of a drowning related strictly to using a mask, with the mask as the cause of the drowning.

SeaRat

Somehow, I don't think the insurance company demands this of the pools.

First, from a perspective of laryngeal spasm, masks seal around the face. Inhaling water from a mask is very tough to do, because of this seal. Very little would come in, unless the mask wasn't sealing for some reason. It's much easier to get water into the larynx through the nose with goggles, IMHO.

Second, I've been using masks in pools for years, without a problem. If there were some sort of nation-wide insurance company problem with it, this would happen in all pools.

Third, I have yet to see any evidence of a drowning related strictly to using a mask, with the mask as the cause of the drowning.

SeaRat

I think you are absolutely correct.

My guess it's just some sort of liability. You can drown a lot of ways. Just don't use the pool and they don't get your entry fee.
I'll add: I have been to beaches (State Parks, etc.) where scuba is allowed, but not from the beach--from other areas (rocks, jetties, way away from the crowds on the beach). At one CT beach you could go right from the beach but had to sign a waiver. This is probably to relieve lifeguards of any legal responsibility. This may be related to lifeguards not knowing how to assess someone in the pool with a scuba mask on. Also, I would assume lifeguards may not know what to do with a diver in trouble? Of course, you still pay your $15/$20 parking fee despite getting no lifeguard service. I don't know if there is (or should) be any difference if a pool is public or private. But as most agree, if it's not allowed by those in charge or too much of a hassle, just don't go there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom