Maskless and disappointed.. for now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your LDS can't figure out how to order/change lenses in a scuba mask, how are they going to handle the OW class?

To a certain extent, I wonder the same thing, but I'm thinking and hoping that it's just that the person who was trying to help me didn't know much about the prescription aspect of a prescription dive mask. She admitted that she didn't know what the numbers meant when I showed her the prescription, and I kinda think something got lost in translation when we got a response from the place where they get custom lenses done.

I've done a Discover Scuba with these guys and was pretty happy with the experience, and so far have felt comfortable with all the people I've met in the shop.

I'm going back there tomorrow as my friend/future-dive-buddy needs to get her personal gear (and I still don't have a snorkel or boots to go with my Jets) and will hopefully have a different experience.

I wear glasses most of the time and contacts for sports like skiing and diving- works great- pop them out between dives and carry eyelube.

Here is a suggestion for those with special situations... I recently discovered this as a viable option.

For those that can wear contacts while diving... great... for those that want and can afford lasik eye surgery - great.... for those that want and can afford prescription masks... another great way to go... but...

For those whom lasik and contacts are not an option and who don't feel like spending $200 on a prescription mask for a single use or even having to change them when the prescription changes...

Here is the simple choice. Most standard size eyeglasses can be worn inside of a frameless mask or single lense mask by removing the temple and the ear piece at the hinge. It may or may not be necessary to use a small amount of silicone to hold them in place.

When done diving, simply reattached the temples and ear pieces... you just experienced a terrific temporary dive mask that you can see from perfectly. All you need is a small screwdriver to disassemble and reassemble your glasses.

Happy Diving.

I think contacts may be the best answer. I dive with contacts on a daily basis and have not had an infection in years. I work full time as an instuctor and have managed resorts throughout Asia for over 10 years so have seen thousands of customers diving contacts and almost no reported problems or irritated eyes after diving. If you are truly worried the one day disposables worn only for diving would almost negate the risk of infection or at least make it the same as diving without contacts as anything getting in your eye would be removed at the end of the dive.

UPDATE: I went back to the lds today, found out there's only 3 people (including me) in my class still. Yay. Saw the same girl as last time and she asked if I had gotten my prescription problem solved. I had more luck getting gear than the friend I went with (they were out of stock in boots her size and left with only mask and snorkel), though I ended up spending more than I really wanted to as I ended up needing to buy fins because the Jets I have didn't fit (foot pocket wasn't quite tall enough). Still have to figure out what's going to be the best and most feasible solution for me for being able to see with my mask, be it contacts, bonded lenses, the HydroOptix solution Jon suggested or something else, but I'm in a better mood now than I was after my last trip to the lds.

Hi Oreocookie,

HydroOptix has the technical ability to produce bonded-on lenses for your positive Rx. It's just that we know the results for your Rx, given a total +4.0 on one axis (SPH and CYL together), would be disappointing. Hence we make the lens-carrier option and believe that to be the smart compromise, considering the immutable laws of optics. The fact it happens to be $100 less expensive vs. custom bonded-on is just your good luck.

For an expert second-opinion, local to you (in Montreal, per your profile), you might want to chat up Gabriel Assaf. Gabriel is both a technical / rebreather diver and an optician. His optician's website is here

And here's Gabriel's YouTube page where he posts his regular "Tuesday's Dive" videos.

Jon,
Do you mind if I PM you with a somewhat more specific question that probably isn't relevant to most other people reading this thread?

Most masks can be fitted with a prescription with a couple of different. The first is with diopters that are also called drop in lenses. Drop in lenses are usually only available through the manufacturers of the masks and are usually mask specific. They do not take into account things like pupilary distance, astygmatism or anything that your optometrist would have on a prescription. They are limited to two window masks in which the lenses are removeable. They are limited in the strength that you can get. These would be the equivalent of going to the drugstore and picking up reading glasses off the rack.
If the drop inlenses are not strong enough or if your vision requires more adjustment than just diopters then you would have to consider bonded lenses. Bonded lenses are attached chemically to the existing lenses in the mask. They are bonded to the inside of the mask and may be attached to single lens masks as well as double lens masks. The side that is attached to the mask is flat with no curvature that is commonly found in regular prescription glasses. This ensures that there will be no open spaces where fogging would become an issue or where sand grit or dirt might collect. The lenses are usually always made of glass. There might be a comfort issue depending on the style of mask that you select to have the bonded lenses attached. The smaller air space of a low profile/volume mask will end up having a lesser volume and you might find it irritating if it is so small that your eyelashes brush against the lenses every time you blink. Bonded lenses are always custom ground from your personal prescription. If your prescription requires thick lenses the you should consider a single, triple or quad lens mask. The single lens mask seems always to be a larger volume mask than a two lens mask. Thicker lenses will also add more weight to the mask which may or may not be a factor in fit but there are also other lighter materials than glass being used to get the same prescription. The company we use for prescription lenses is DiveSight in West Allis Wisconsin. Greg and his group their are fantastic

Regarding diving in contacts, I wear the 2 week disposables (which my doc says can actually be worn for a month), and have been diving in them for 2 years with no problems. Most of the time they don't get so much as wet since I've never had my mask accidentally come off, and only occasionally remove it for practice. I just put them in no rub solution every night, like normal. Doc has never said I've had any problems with my eyes either. I'd look for a 2nd opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom