Maskless and disappointed.. for now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My first attempt at aquiring some dive gear failed miserably, leaving the lds with little more than a business card with an address writen on it.

The plan for today was to get a mask, or at least to order one (i need a prescription one), since I figured getting it done might take a while since I don't have a simple prescription and didn't figure I could get standard corrective lens replacements. I was planning on getting the rest of my personal gear when I go back with a friend early next week so she can get hers also.

The plan started out fine, got there, told the girl what I needed, she pulls 2 masks off the wall to try. I tried the first one and it seemed to fit pretty well, then I tried the second one and it tried to eat my face :dork2:, and I could hear a suction breaking when i had to PULL it off my face. So we go with that one, pick the colour I wanted, and she got one down off the shelf. Then she looks at the prescription and everything starts going wrong. Some Rx's have 3 numbers (sphere, cylinder and axis), and after asking somebody else, tells me that the lenses they have in stock only deal with the sphere number (glasses bought at drugstores also only do sphere), so i figure that won't work, but apparently they recommend a place that does custom lenses, called them and after waiting half an hour to get a response, find out that they can't do lenses with the value I need for axis. She suggests that I call my eye doc to see I'd be able to manage with only part of the Rx or if I could maybe get contacts for the parts they can't do with the replacement lenses, my response being that if I got contacts, they'd correct the whole thing and I'd get a regular mask. (she misunderstood when I said earlier that I couldn't wear contacts, that the doc said not to, not that they couldn't make them). So then I figured, lets see the sphere-only correcting lenses to see how well I could see with them, and turns out that they don't carry + power lenses, that they cost more, and that I'd have to pay for half in order to even be able to see if they'd be good or not, in 2 weeks when they'd arrive. So this perfectly fitting (so it seems) mask went back onto the shelf. :shakehead:

Meanwhile, while we were waiting for somebody to return the phone call, the girl says that I get 10% off because I'm doing my OW with them and asks if I want to look at fins, snorkels and boots while we're waiting. Here's problem 2: the 10% off only applies if I buy fins, mask, snorkel and boots at the same time, which is reasonable I guess, but I already have a pair of fins (30 year old SP Jets) that I'm planning on using assuming they fit properly.

So yeah, I left with nothing other than a business card and a mental note of the mask that I'll probably be getting once I figure out what to do about actually being able to see. If anybody wants to comment on it, the mask is an XS Scuba M-Line Z Duo (without a purge).

Ok, I'm done my rant, just needed to vent.

You'll probably have better luck getting disposable contacts and buying a non-prescription mask. Your eye doc will usually give you a few to try for free.

Terry

If I read his post correctly, his optometrist told him to NOT wear contacts.

I'm guessing we're liable to run into some similar issues with my wife's prescription. She has progressives, so what I plan to do Monday is call her optometrist and find out if a single-vision prescription will work okay for diving. It's not like she's going to be doing a lot of reading or computer usage while wearing the mask. So long as she can focus on the guages and a watch, I expect it will work and be easier to fill.

I wear bifocals, but the correction is such that I can get away without them for these kinds of applications.

OP did say their Dr said they SHOULDN'T wear contacts.

It sounds you need to deal directly with someone who knows what they're doing, not a clueless intermediary. I don't know names offhand, but I'd find one of the people that does this work themselves, get their recommendation, then maybe run it by your doc to see what they think if that still seems necessary. Your correction doesn't need to be perfect underwater so their may be some things that can be compromised on.

OP did say their Dr said they SHOULDN'T wear contacts.

It sounds you need to deal directly with someone who knows what they're doing, not a clueless intermediary. I don't know names offhand, but I'd find one of the people that does this work themselves, get their recommendation, then maybe run it by your doc to see what they think if that still seems necessary. Your correction doesn't need to be perfect underwater so their may be some things that can be compromised on.

Umm I think you may have misread the OP's post, they said "she misunderstood when I said earlier that I couldn't wear contacts, that the doc said not to"

Call around to some optometrists in your area. I have my prescription masks done through an optometry shop -- but they don't actually do the work. They send the mask to somebody in Minnesota, I think. They do very good work, as far as we can tell (five prescription masks later).

to clarify, my doctor warned me against wearing contacts, because one eye is much stronger than the other and if I were to get an infection in my good eye, I could probably say goodbye to driving, reading... not a good situation. The explanation makes sense to me, so I've never really questioned it. I'm thinking of going to the local drugstore, find a pair with the right correction (what i would get if i ordered the lenses through the lds) and see if they're even a possibility or not. Will also probably check with an optometrist or optician to see if any of the Rx could be left out without too much problem. Hopefully I'll have it figured out in time for my first class, because I know that I cannot read the SPG they use on their rental gear without help (found that out when I did a Discover Scuba).

Laser surgery. Best thing I ever did.

Back
Top Bottom