Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetdoc3037

Registered
Reaction score
Going down to Keys this weekend for my 4 OWD"s...I am going to buy my own mask and snorkel...I am wondering, besides the obvious benefits of being able to clear without having to lift up on mask, is the self purging mask worth considering? The prices seem about the same. I know fit it what is most important.

Either way you're going to have to hold onto the mask when clearing to avoid exhaling your mask off your face. Well not really off your face, but enough to make a watertight seal impossible. Having a purge valve doesn't make hand-less mask clears possible.

So with that in mind I say purge masks are one of those unneeded gimmicks; though I have never used one personally. They probably make mask clearing easier but they tend to add problems of their own that you personally may or may not want to deal with.
The nose pocket will tend to be hard plastic or in such a way that the purge may rub up on your nose.
You may also have a problem with forcefully over clearing, forcing air through your purge instead of occupying your mask and forcing water out.
This is the same problem with purge snorkels in which too forceful an exhale can leave you with a snorkel still full of water.
With non-purge snorkels and masks, this is less likely or even a non-existent case.

Sand and grit can also ruin the purge, leading to an ever flooding mask until the purge is cleared of said grit.

In retrospect when you clear your mask you create a purge valve of your own between your top lip and the mask skirt. One finger on the top frame of your mask, exhaling lightly, and then tilting your head up, is often all you need to clear your mask (provided a proper fit and seal).
You have to do this with both purge and non-purge equipped masks.

It's easy enough, so IMO the purge valve mask only has one real advantage, when your face is above the water, any water in the mask will automatically drain out the nose pocket.

Great, thanks for the detailed response. It helped me. I have seen some masks with larger skirts, not sure if I need that or not...I will stop by tomorrow at the local dive shop and pick one up, a non purge valve type.

Low volume mask and a roll up snorkel.

I agree with Mayor. I spent $45 on a snorkel and then found out that most divers don't even use them. My instructor doesn't except when in class to set an example for students I guess. As for the purge valve, are you going to be doing any cold water diving where you will be wearing heavy gloves? If so, the purge valve can get in the way of equalizing according to some of the people I know up here that dive cold all the time. If you are only doing warm water and no gloves or thin gloves then that would not be a problem.

Can't tell you how many masks and snorkels I got sucked into buying before I was in the know. Now i have two oceanic shadows ($70.00 each) which are very low volume and can be cleared with a small puff. The snorkel is an XS scuba cargo ($15.00) that rolls up to nothing. When I'm forced to snorkel with my MIL it comes out and has always surprised me how well it works. One thing is for sure the kids have a pile of masks and snorkels for the pool.

Ok got it...just read up on low volume masks.
The more water a mask will hold the harder it will be to clear. It might take a few puffs to clear a mask with many windows. I like simple and easy so low volume masks can be cleared with very little air. Not to mention buoyancy control is easier with the LV mask. It's simple you want gear that works with you. PM me with any other gear questions.

Big skirts or small skirts it doesn't matter, as long as it seals against your face. I tend to prefer smaller skirts as when I smile underwater a larger skirt will end up draping over my lips allowing my mask to flood pretty fast. Smaller skirts still flood when I smile but just not as fast as with larger skirts. YMMV

And yes low volume is the way to go. Avoid those mask with side windows as those tend to be high volume and really don''t increase your peripheral vision that much. If you ever start to decide between clear and black masks there are plenty of threads already on the topic. Just google "site:scubabord.com black or clear mask skirts"

Back
Top Bottom