Mask With Good Peripheral Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a Cressi Focus Free mask, and I noticed last night in the pool that my peripheral vision pretty much sucks. I don't know if this is just a limitation of masks in general and I should get used to it, or if I should try a new mask.

It's hard to keep track of my buddy in the water because I can't see very far at all to either side, and I definitely have a hard time seeing down, like when I need to adjust my bc or when I'm doing a drill to remove it, I can't see what I'm doing at all, and doing everything by feel with 5mm gloves isn't the easiest. So is this limited visibility something you just have to get used to with a mask and work around, or would it be worth trying another mask? I have a smaller face so I need a mask that fits properly there. Any suggestions?

If your face fit the mask, the HydroOptix is great, however you either need to be nearsighted with about -4 in both eyes, or wear contacts to use it.

Also, the nose pocket is small, so if you have a generous schnozz, it won't fit.

Other than that, you're bouind by the laws of physics. Any mask with a flat front will give you bad peripheral vision. Side windows help a little.

Terry

caroln:
I currently have a Cressi Focus Free mask, and I noticed last night in the pool that my peripheral vision pretty much sucks. I don't know if this is just a limitation of masks in general and I should get used to it, or if I should try a new mask.
Any suggestions?

Carolyn, let's not bend the rules of physics, but we can bend the lens and straighten the wave path. Take a look at the Aqua Sphere made by Aqua Lung. There is a diver's version of this swimmers mask which provides wide peripheral view. However, the "glass" is actually plastic so the mask should be transported in a case of some kind.

I sure like my TUSA Visualator mask. Reasonably priced. I tried on lots of masks before making my decision. First was fit and second was the field of view. May be to big for your face though. I'm a fat head as you can see from the avatar.

Digger54:
I sure like my TUSA Visualator mask. Reasonably priced. I tried on lots of masks before making my decision. First was fit and second was the field of view. May be to big for your face though. I'm a fat head as you can see from the avatar.

I second the Tusa Visualator mask. Although I don't have a freakishly fat head :)..... seriously, that is one of my favorites.

I currently have a Tusa Pan Geo (front pane and a side pane on each side). The problem with this mask is that there is a large bar separating the front from the side panes, it pretty much makes the side panes unuseable, IMO.

On another note I'm hot after a Oceanic Prizm series mask. I've only played around with them in the LDS, however the FOV is greatly enhanced over my Tusa Pan Geo. Now I just have to wait for my Tusa to go tits up, Sabotage anyone :wink:

Thanks guys. I'll be checking some of these out as soon as I can get to the shop. I understand that vision with a mask is never going to be as good as without, but hopefully I can get a big improvement with one of these.

I doubt that one would find the Aqua Sphere in a dive shop. Try on line. This mask has extremely wide vision and is technologically different than the flat pane type.

I took a look at the "Visualator". It appears similar to other "look down" masks such as X Vision and Big Eye. I weigh 190 and these masks have wide, flared skirts which which will not seal on my face. They have bulky plastic frames and are awkward in appearance. I use the Promate Swift frameless mask which is extremely light and fits me well. Promate makes some masks for small faces. For example, the tri-vision "Hammerhead" might be worth a look.

http://www.casanovasadventures.com/catalog/watersports/p40034.htm

pescador775:
I doubt that one would find the Aqua Sphere in a dive shop. Good luck.

I got mine from Canada. They still sell them there.

This mask points up one critical element of peripheral vision in masks- keep the lens as close as possible to your eyes. The further away (larger volume) the more tunnel vision. The Aqua Sphere/Technisub is extremely low volume. There is a peculiar distortion that you will acclimate to.

The Hydro-Optix is an excellent mask and a good choice for advanced divers. Here's my rather long worded T&E impression http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=628398&postcount=1

The Mares ESA is my standard mask, it has six windows with a lot of peripheral vison, some claim it to be fragile, but I like it a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom