Mask with ear covers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand the whole "help equalize the ears" comments.

Unless I'm gravely mistaken they would have zero effect on equalizing your ears. In fact they actually add an additional Air Pocket that needs to be equalized.

Isn't the point of these to keep your ears dry?

Since the air pocket is equalized when you equalize your mask then removal at depth creates no change in pressure unless you're not equalizing your mask which would now cause an additional squeeze on your ears!

Exactly. The only effect of removing the mask at depth is that your ears will get wet.:D

Putting it back on may be a little more difficult (but not much), since you'll have to position the ear cups as well as the mask itself and purge the cups (the same way as you do the mask.....tilt head, exhale through mask, and the air going through the hose will push the water out).

IMO try Docs proplugs before spending anything on a mask with Ear covers.

None of these devices are designed to help *equalize*. Rather, they are designed to keep water out of the ears.

I too used a Pro-Ear , it worked great for me. I have never taken it off at depth, if your ears are equalized I dont think there would be an issue. Just clearing the cups after you replace the mask.Also with the specialized hood it may be hard to get a good seal with gloves on, removing hair and getting the cups to reseal. As said before , good idea to practice in the pool or shallow first

I have used one of these masks ( pro ear) ...they work pretty well, as for what happens when you remove an ear cup at depth...there is no tramautic pressure squeeze on your ears ( as stated before , your ears just get wet) clearing the ear cup is pretty easy ...exhale through the mask, tilt your head to one side and you are done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom