Mask with Compass???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duck tape a petrel2 to a FFM.............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can't do it in a mask, nor would you want to. It would be heavy, expensive, require batteries etc. If you really want all that info, just buy this below. Includes wired AI and full deco computer, so literally everything is in your HUD. Designed for FFM's, but can be used on a regular second stage or helmet mounted

HUDC - Head Up Diving Computer

duct taping a petrel would be silly, though the NERD does have a compass integrated into it as well, but I'd rather have the wired AI.

I'm not surprised at least one company has taken a stab at a heads-up display PDC... The SeaBear HUDC looks interesting, but probably a bit early in the evolution of their technology.

It's a pity diving is such a low volume market when you consider the sensors, computing technology, and usability available for relatively low cost in a modern smart phone, etc. Heck, something along the lines of an environmentally sealed "iWatch" you could flip down in front of your mask (or keep on the 2nd stage like the SeaBear HUDC) would weigh almost nothing and have all the hardware needed for a PDC except the depth sensor (which could be easily added via the "HealthKit" API which allows apps to link to external sensors.) Some iOS software for diving already exists, and APIs are provided by Apple to encourage developers to write apps for the phones and watches.

Wouldn't have to be much more elaborate than a case included for a GoPro (but much smaller) with attachment points. Wired sensor on the case for depth and temp. Wired or wireless connection for cylinder pressure sensor. Add (already available) heart rate, BP, and respiration monitor(s) if you want to actually WATCH your vitals as you panic hysterically...

Wow, that could an idea for a Kickstarter project!! (except the market volume would be questionable.)

-Don

API's don't work underwater, they have to use sound to relay information back and the transmitters aren't small. You think the Wireless AI transmitters are as big as they are because they want them to be?

Watch idea is something that is difficult due to the waterproofing of buttons and what not and since touch screens don't work so well underwater it is also somewhat difficult. Shearwaters NERD is basically the same as the Seabear *who is making this for APD btw*, and they haven't included a pressure sensor for tank pressure because it doesn't make sense at this point. If you want the watch idea, Seabear makes the H3 which is pretty slick, but incorporating sensors into it outside of the pressure sensor is all but impossible, that's why the HUDC and NERD have external control boxes

OP, what you really want is a compass and a geo-referenced digital map :D

divenav_scientific_diver_map_560.jpg

..... Wouldn't have to be much more elaborate than a case included for a GoPro (but much smaller) with attachment points. Wired sensor on the case for depth and temp......
We did that ... but for smartphones (and iPad - see image above).

.........wireless connection for cylinder pressure sensor.... ..
That's on the to-do list :cool2:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

By "API" I meant "application programming interface" - a set of tools and guidelines that make it easy (or easier) for 3rd party programmers to write specialized apps for a given device or operating system, and access on-board hardware features like the GPS, gyros, temperature sensors, camera etc.. These APIs will work perfectly well underwater :wink: As far as interacting with buttons, etc, the "user interfaces" of all the PDCs I've played with could have been written circa. 1990 for DOS users (i.e. primitive, at best.) I've used a $15 soft plastic "dry-bag" type case with my iPhone to take photos in 20ft of water, and and could push the 1 button and use the touch screen with no problems. No, I would NOT trust that $15 solution with my PDC (or even my phone) at greater depths, but I'm sure a reliable solution could be made for not too much more (if the volume of sales were there.)

I wasn't talking about a watch solution, but rather another approach to the HUD.

All pipe dreams, unfortunately.

Oceanic has been providing a computer in a mask for a while.

DataMask HUD

I'm not surprised at least one company has taken a stab at a heads-up display PDC... The SeaBear HUDC looks interesting, but probably a bit early in the evolution of their technology.

It's a pity diving is such a low volume market when you consider the sensors, computing technology, and usability available for relatively low cost in a modern smart phone, etc. Heck, something along the lines of an environmentally sealed "iWatch" you could flip down in front of your mask (or keep on the 2nd stage like the SeaBear HUDC) would weigh almost nothing and have all the hardware needed for a PDC except the depth sensor (which could be easily added via the "HealthKit" API which allows apps to link to external sensors.) Some iOS software for diving already exists, and APIs are provided by Apple to encourage developers to write apps for the phones and watches.

Wouldn't have to be much more elaborate than a case included for a GoPro (but much smaller) with attachment points. Wired sensor on the case for depth and temp. Wired or wireless connection for cylinder pressure sensor. Add (already available) heart rate, BP, and respiration monitor(s) if you want to actually WATCH your vitals as you panic hysterically...

Wow, that could an idea for a Kickstarter project!! (except the market volume would be questionable.)

-Don

seabear has a touch screen, piezo buttons work better. Touch is a bear to deal with with gloves on....

Sorry re. api's wasn't sure if they were the transponders themselves or just the protocol to deal with them. Either way, fancy UI's are relatively unnecessary for what we need out of them. Spit back data and let me put some basic inputs into them. Isn't all that much more that people need out of them. Very few actually use the digital compasses for anything other than a reference point and it certainly isn't a real selling point for most computers, just a nice thing to have because why not. HRM's and what not are all pretty neat to have I guess, and may prove to be more useful, but they come at a significant cost in battery drain to keep them monitored. It could work in something like a breather where you can integrate most of this into the head and have it controlled by the big batteries they have, but to keep it small for recreational diving would be a bit of a nightmare if you wanted to be able to use it for a full day of diving.

Why not just stick a brass rod on the mask and hang one of those car ball compasses from it... I am on the road right now but I'll make one up when I get home tomorrow...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom