Mask troubles.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, just tried this with both of the masks that I have....maybe I am doing it wrong, here is what happens:
1. Face to the sky, Venom on, light inhale {not clear if you mean lungs and not mask or just mask or both???} into the mask, look ahead mask falls off not holding breath or negative pressure in mask.
2. Tusa Freedom HD, same as above.

Repeat test holding slight negative in the masks and neither falls off. I would also add that both masks "feel" like a million bucks in place...they just seep water on a dive.

Lets drop back to diving for a second...should a diver when diving hold positive pressure {like you breath out to equalize}, negative pressure {allow very slight mask squeeze} or neutral in the mask????? I understand that on a dive the pressure in the mask will at certain times be any one of the three, but majority of the time how do you want it???
I tend to have it with a very slight squeeze - and I mean slight. I will generally blow out through my nose until it burps air out (at which point it is equalised) and then ever so slightly breath in. Ensures a good seal.

Masks seeping a little should not be a big issue - clearing only takes a couple of seconds with practise but masks that are leaking more than that can be a pain. If on a long dive, I will often deliberately flood a mask to clear any fogging (particularly if there is a large temp diff between airspace and water) - just enough to swish over the glass and then clear.

Repeat test holding slight negative in the masks and neither falls off. I would also add that both masks "feel" like a million bucks in place...they just seep water on a dive.
It's not the mask fit then. Now, you need to determine if your strap is on "square", too loose, too tight or if you have a temple leak.

• Strap placement
    • Try moving the strap up and down on the back of your head. The different angle might improve fit
  • Strap tension
    • Too tight and the mask skirt is distorted, creating a leak
    • Too light and the mask moves around too much allowing cracks and leakage
  • Temple leak
    • This is a hard leak to diagnose
    • During a dive push on the mask skirt right behind your eyes
    • If it's leaking there, you'll have a bit more of an issue finding a mask. It's taken me years.

It's not the mask fit then. Now, you need to determine if your strap is on "square", too loose, too tight or if you have a temple leak.

• Strap placement
    • Try moving the strap up and down on the back of your head. The different angle might improve fit
  • Strap tension
    • Too tight and the mask skirt is distorted, creating a leak
    • Too light and the mask moves around too much allowing cracks and leakage
  • Temple leak
    • This is a hard leak to diagnose
    • During a dive push on the mask skirt right behind your eyes
    • If it's leaking there, you'll have a bit more of an issue finding a mask. It's taken me years.

Thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated!! I might just have a temple leak, I will find out tonight because I will try exactly what you are suggesting. Can you tell me which mask solved the problem for you??? I do have temples that kind of dent inward...it's as if I could somehow squeegee some RTV sealer in them and strike it off flush to cure the problem.

I have a similar problem, though I don't get floods. All of my (several) masks fit me perfectly, until I put a regulator in my mouth.

The one I've settled with leaks a little sometimes. It's a Mako frameless, though you know it won't necessarily fit you.

Another thing I've done underwater if the mask is leaking is to stretch my skin around the skirt. Sometimes works.

I cannot tell for sure where the water is coming in, once I thought it was coming in from the top, but I just don't know. On the last dive it leaked pretty good and I needed to shave, I had like a day and half worth of growth. This next time I use it I will shave especially close and see if that helps. Thanks for the reply.
It does not matter where the water is coming in; it only matters where the air is coming out. Usually, somewhere at the top.

If the air is not leaking out its pressure won't let the water come in.

It does not matter where the water is coming in; it only matters where the air is coming out. Usually, somewhere at the top.

If the air is not leaking out its pressure won't let the water come in.

I understand and I agree, but I have heard it both ways and would like to know which {if either} is regarded as the "best" or "easiest" or maybe "most correct".....positive pressure in the mask or negative ????? It would seem easier to maintain positive because "all ya gotta do" is add a little air thru your nose as if to clear. Thanks for the info and reply!!!

I have a similar problem, though I don't get floods. All of my (several) masks fit me perfectly, until I put a regulator in my mouth.

The one I've settled with leaks a little sometimes. It's a Mako frameless, though you know it won't necessarily fit you.

Another thing I've done underwater if the mask is leaking is to stretch my skin around the skirt. Sometimes works.

I will try anything at this point...I will try the skin stretch thing this evening. Thanks for the info and reply!!!

Can you tell me which mask solved the problem for you???
The Bare Duo B works best for me.

41GDNtdOkhL.jpg

Do you have any wrinkles? If you do, grease them with silicon or use a rubber headband on your forehead under the mask skirt. I forgot what these are called, BangWrangler or something. Better still, keep looking for your perfect mask.

If it still leaks try this. Descend to 10', if it leaks remove your reg mouthpiece and see if the leak stops.

If it still leaks try this. Descend to 10', if it leaks remove your reg mouthpiece and see if the leak stops.

Good idea, I will try that on the next dive.

The Bare Duo B works best for me.

Thanks for the info, I see this mask has pretty high reviews and not such a high price tag...unusual these days!!

Do you have any wrinkles? If you do, grease them with silicon or use a rubber headband on your forehead under the mask skirt. I forgot what these are called, BangWrangler or something. Better still, keep looking for your perfect mask.

Well, I have three new ones to try, well, that is as soon as I get them. Don't really have any wrinkles....yet anyways, but I might have some soon if I don"t solve this mask problem!! I do have sunken temples. Not good for diving, but they do go along good with my sunken brain. Thanks for the reply!!!

Back
Top Bottom