Mask Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been bouncing around trying to find a really good mask strap. The standard silicone straps are too much of a pain, trying to get them lay flat and untwisted on my head, especially with gloves on.

I like the neoprene pad concept because it just slides on your head. No fuss, no muss.

I've tried a slap strap, which is basically a neoprene pad with velcro straps attached which fold on themselves. Problem is the velcro straps are too wide to slide thru the clips on the mask. Yeah, I know you can cut them...Also they are pretty much non-adjustable while diving, especially with gloves on. And I'm sure the velcro will get full of sand after a while since I do mostly beach diving.

I've tried the standard neoprene pad that you thread the silicone strap thru, but the strap always gets twisted inside. Arrrrrgghhh.....

Now I'm considering a "Q strap" by Ocean Master, which is a neoprene pad with mask clips mounted on it, in the center of the pad (ie, back of your head). So you thread the silicone strap thru the clips on the pad, and adjust them there. (http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_54_scuba_1_gear_028003_pn_Ocean-Master-Q-STRAP)

There's also the "manta strap", which is similar, but has the clips mounted on the ends of the neoprene (http://www.atlanticsportsintl.com/products/manta.htm)

What I really want, and saw once but can't remember where, is just a standard neoprene pad in two layers, with velcro lining the insides of both layers. You lay one of the layers down, then lay your silicone strap on it, then lay the second layer down over it, and press it together and the velcro sandwiches the whole thing. No more worry about the strap getting twisted.

Anyone have any suggestions on the way to go?

I have several masks all with Q-Straps. (They are not Ocean Master masks - had them added). I luv 'em!

I have Tusa neoprene strap covers on all my masks and love them. They have velcro to separate the halves of the strap so it doesn't twist inside. I've never had a strap to twist inside the cover. I've got black ones but my wife has yellow and they make about every other color out there.

I also really like the Q-Strap. I have the Oceanmaster Z2 mask and it is very comfortable. Also, I tried a lot of other masks and this fit me the best...though you only asked about the strap so you probably have a different mask in mind. The neoprene has a rubbery non-slip surface in the inside of it.

Back
Top Bottom