mask squeeze; can i still dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the response, however, excluding the OP who asked the question and me who only asked what it meant, the only people giving advice are you and H2Andy.

As it turns out, you have both given the same advice (go see a doctor), what makes you less of an "ignorant" person than H2Andy, or do you consider yourself ignorant too? Just asking.

Best Regards
Richard

Been an eye doctor since July of 1976, ie starting year 34 in 2 months of private practice......just saying......have a great day......Joe

You see, we are all ignornant about many things(although most would never admit to this)---for example-- you would not want me to open your chest for the beginning of open heart surgery, things might not turn out the way you'd want it to.....lol....

Been an eye doctor since July of 1976, ie starting year 34 in 2 months of private practice......just saying......have a great day......Joe

You see, we are all ignornant about many things(although most would never admit to this)---for example-- you would not want me to open your chest for the beginning of open heart surgery, things might not turn out the way you'd want it to.....lol....

Ha Ha,

You must admit though, you are way more credible than the other ignorants if you state (or at least imply) your qualifications. :wink:

Best Regards
Richard

Yea, pretty much. My buddy did this once. He had raccoon eyes for days which resulted in much hilarity.

-Charles

So according to this, it's like having a big hickie on your face?

Did not read the link but it's a fricking broken blood vessel(s)---think of a bruise, a bruise looks purple cuz you're looking @ the (red) blood thru colored skin......

Again mostly what is hurt is a diver's pride..........

That's what a hickie is too, also caused by suction. Just remind me that when I diving I need to equalize my mask so that my wife doesn't question what I'm doing.:mooner:

But if it is a subconjunctival hemorrhage, there is essentially no significant risk associated with this,

that's good to know ... I was under the impression that further stress could result in damage to the eye

"Mask squeeze" is the process which can lead to a variety of symptoms. You can get bruising around the eyes or where the mask sits, due to breakage of capillaries in the skin. You can get hemorrhage in the soft outer lining of the eye (the "subconjunctival hemorrhage" alluded to above), which is neither painful nor dangerous, but quite unsightly. You can get nosebleeds or sinus bleeding, which is a bit more of a concern. Without knowing what your particular symptoms of "mask squeeze" are, it's hard to advise you. But if it is a subconjunctival hemorrhage, there is essentially no significant risk associated with this, and continuing to dive, as long as you adequately equalize your mask while doing so, should pose no issue.

I had someone tell me that was called scuba boxing. It doesn't look to pretty, and I am sure it feels quite unpleasant as well.

I have a question on the purge masks (the mask that has a one-way valve in the nose to purge water). Is it possible for the squeeze to get so bad that the purge valve fails and then floods the mask?

"That's what a hickie is too, also caused by suction. Just remind me that when I diving I need to equalize my mask so that my wife doesn't question what I'm doing."

If your girlfriend gives you hickies the shape of masks, you need a new girlfriend!

Back
Top Bottom