mask squeeze; can i still dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I got a pretty nasty mask squeeze at the moment and I kept diving for 3 days after. It seems to have become slightly worse. At my first dive in a year I kinda forgot to exhale through my nose which caused it. During all my later dives I was really focussed on it so that will not have caused the fact it got worse.

Is it save/wise to continue diving or should I quit for a day or so?

(yeah I know, :dork2: )

It is only in my right eye and it seems to have grown a bit; like 10% or something after the first day

stop right now

you can't make it better by diving, and you certainly will make it worse

damn

thats bad news

Stop till its all gone or just stop till it's hardly visible anymore?

i would say stop until it's no longer uncomfortable for you to dive

OK, here is a learning opportunity for me.

I thought mask squeeze was the event that happened at depth and was managed by releasing the pressure by letting air out through the nose. I know that the OP eluded to that.

It sounds to me as if the OP is suffering from a medical condition called "mask squeeze", can anybody kindly explain the biology of the condition.

Thanks in advance

Richard

That's a subconjunctival hemorrhage(apparently no lid ecchymosis--ie 'black eyes') you're probably speaking of(white of the eye looks blood red????)......Most of the time the only hurt thing is your diving pride...Seriously though, how do you expect a bunch of ignorant people here to tell you what you should or should not do.....Go see an eye doctor & let him/her tell you what to do.....You might be very surprised with the advice given to you.....

That's a subconjunctival hemorrhage(apparently no lid ecchymosis--ie 'black eyes') you're probably speaking of(white of the eye looks blood red????)......Most of the time the only hurt thing is your diving pride...Seriously though, how do you expect a bunch of ignorant people here to tell you what you should or should not do.....Go see an eye doctor & let him/her tell you what to do.....You might be very surprised with the advice given to you.....

Thank you for the response, however, excluding the OP who asked the question and me who only asked what it meant, the only people giving advice are you and H2Andy.

As it turns out, you have both given the same advice (go see a doctor), what makes you less of an "ignorant" person than H2Andy, or do you consider yourself ignorant too? Just asking.

Best Regards
Richard

If it is truly mask squeeze, keep diving and put a couple puffs of air into your mask through your nose as you descend. If you continue to have problems, see a doctor.

"Mask squeeze" is the process which can lead to a variety of symptoms. You can get bruising around the eyes or where the mask sits, due to breakage of capillaries in the skin. You can get hemorrhage in the soft outer lining of the eye (the "subconjunctival hemorrhage" alluded to above), which is neither painful nor dangerous, but quite unsightly. You can get nosebleeds or sinus bleeding, which is a bit more of a concern. Without knowing what your particular symptoms of "mask squeeze" are, it's hard to advise you. But if it is a subconjunctival hemorrhage, there is essentially no significant risk associated with this, and continuing to dive, as long as you adequately equalize your mask while doing so, should pose no issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom