Mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a moustache and found that the EVO purge mask is fantastic

Tresguey:
as i wander the many threads trying to get some help on what mask to buy i have just a few questions. one is what is the general consensus on a purge valve or non purge valve. also high or low volume? i dunno.....i have read that if you have a mustache go with the purge valve....well what if it's very well trimmed.....does that matter?

I have a mustache. I dove several masks, and went with the Aqualung Mythos, but every mask I dove leaked a bit. I decided that it was just part of having a stache. My mythos broke (the frame) likely in travel (airline), and I ordered a Mares XVision. I did not notice that I did not have to clear my mask until about the 3rd dive with it, but then it hit me. I had done three dives, and it did not leak, not at all even with my stache.

So fit is everything in a mask. I like wide vision, black skirts, low volume, and no purge. IMO purge valves are not necessary, and the couple masks I tried with purges made clearing a LOT more difficult as the hard valve is right where you want to grab your nose to purge.

IMO if you can not purge without a purge valve, get in the pool and work on it until you can. It's not a difficult skill even if it's the one that new divers often have the most issue with.

Some masks I'd recommend are the Aqualung Mythos, the Cressi Big Eye, and the Mares XVision. While the Mythos, and Big Eye don't fit my face as well as the XVision, they all offer low volume, and one of those three masks should fit as the Cressi is a bit big on me, the Mythos seems to fit, but leaked on SOME dives, and the Mares fit me perfect, so they are all slightly different but offer similar views.

Lisa0825:
In my OW class, I found myself having trouble with mask-clearing. I tried a purge mask and loved it. I guess if you don't have trouble with a regular mask, go with the regular, but if it is an issue, try a purge mask and see what you think.

I'm not aquaman but I've assisted a few classes and guided novice divers - I totally understand how the mask clearing can be "a thing to overcome" and sympathize with those who have difficulties.

Still mask clearing is a not an unpleasant chore to avoid but a procedure to practise and master for proper self management. Once you get over the worst it's a simple routine procedure that you want to be able to execute without thought. Even Purge masks get knocked off from time to time. I consider them snorkling-gear, and mean nothing derogatory by that.

Santa:
I'm not aquaman but I've assisted a few classes and guided novice divers - I totally understand how the mask clearing can be "a thing to overcome" and sympathize with those who have difficulties.

Still mask clearing is a not an unpleasant chore to avoid but a procedure to practise and master for proper self management. Once you get over the worst it's a simple routine procedure that you want to be able to execute without thought. Even Purge masks get knocked off from time to time. I consider them snorkling-gear, and mean nothing derogatory by that.

I understand your point. But I just think it's a matter of personal preference, and if someone finds it much easier to use a purge mask, why not? So, should people manually inflate their BCs because it's a skill you should be able to do and that's what the mouthpiece is there for? Does that mean we shouldn't push the inflator button even though it's easier? I did learn to clear a regular mask, but I like using the purge maks better. Just my pref :)

For the record, when I practiced taking my mask off and clearing it, it just took me more breaths and more coordination to do it with a regular mask, whereas with the purge mask, it was like 1 -2 -3 and done.

RonFrank:
<snip>
So fit is everything in a mask. I like wide vision, black skirts, low volume, and no purge.
Good general criteria in a nutshell. However a purge is indicated and invaluable if you wear RGP contact lenses and one (or both!) pop off into your mask.

RadRob:
I have had the same mask since '97 and the purge hasn't failed yet. It is the Tusa Imprex. I don't know if I will try a non-purge next or not, I sure love the mask I have.

RadRob Please call Tusa and tell them this. I'd be interested in knowing if you've personally set their record and are the last proud owner of a 97 purge mask, unmodified, unrepaired.

Lisa0825:
if someone finds it much easier to use a purge mask, why not? .

Overall there are few redundant procedures in diving ...

I suppose my answer would be that mask clearing of any type shouldn't be difficult at all - and that if using a purge mask feels that much easier it could be a symptom of skills that need honing or maybe, lack of gear control or water comfort - or simply that the mask is too roomy for a given lung capacity. (Not saying this necessarily applies to you).

I'd not compare it to oral inflation which you rarely need to do (but seriously need to be able to when it's called for) because flooding is an everyday occurrence that sometimes causes a lot of confusion, dismay or even panick.

I don't think I'm being purist about it. - but how do the rest of our co-posters feel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom