Mask- Purge or No Purge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly wont certify someone that cant do the mask skills with a normal mask. If they have a purge mask i make them demonstrate they can do all the skills with a normal mask.

My reasons:- purge masks solve a problem that doesnt exist. They are also a crutch. The valves can jam and break meaning they will flood constantly and if the person ever borrows a mask on a trip somewhere you may well have someone claiming to be a qualified diver who in fact cant do a simple mask clear which in my view is dangerous.

I had my valve get stuck at 70' in the Caribbean.

My mask kept flooding, and I couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with it. Every third breath, I'd have to blow out of my nose a lot and clear just to have it fill back up again to right under my eyes. It was quite irritating, but I not enough for me to call the dive. I figured I had some hair stuck in it or the skirt was folded somewhere or something.

Back on shore I examined it and found that part of the flap that keeps water out had been pushed up into the valve, essentially making a hole in my mask. Probablly happened during an equalization. I just used a fingernail to pop it back out and it was all good.

Probablly won't get a new mask because I like the way this one fits, but now I know what a vavle failure can be like.

--Shannon

The only reason I have a purge valve is that I have to dive head down most of the time. Having the purge valve allows me to stay in position and keep working. Otherwise just something else that can break or leak.

There's no real need for a purge valve for most diving situations. Just buy a low volume mask that is easy to clear.

I have a purge mask, and I like it. I probably won't get one for my next mask, but I've never had a problem with it, and it's quite convenient. I say go with fit. If the mask that fits you best has a purge valve, go for it. If not, don't get one just for the valve.

It's very important to master the mask clearing and removal skills so you can dive safely and comfortably. That being said, it's not uncommon at all to feel uncomfortable at first breathing through a regulator with a mask off. I've known students that have gone as far as sticking their head in a full bathtub with a snorkel and no mask just to get added practice and build comfort.

Once you've mastered being able to swim without a mask, you'll never have to worry about your mask getting kicked off. In addition, you can do things like remove your mask underwater to adjust the strap if needed or flood the mask to clear fog.

You mentioned your current mask hurting the bridge of your nose. I'm curious if you're talking about the upper, bony part of the nose between the eyes or the area connecting the nostrils. I have used both purge and non-purge masks and have found purge masks can be more irritating to the area below the nostrils due to the hard plastic found in the valves.

If I were you, I would ask your local shop if you can try a couple different kinds of mask in the pool so you can determine the style you most like and that is most comfortable. Just make sure to master mask clearing & removal regardless of the type you choose.

I like all the others say you really need to be able to open your eyes underwater and to clear a mask to it's second nature. You can't afford to be diving the Great Lakes and down 110ft diving the Smith Moore and your mask for some reason floods, strap breaks, kicked off what ever. You need to be safe ... end of discussion.

Alot of people do like a purge mask they sometimes find it easier to not have to tilt your head and to lift it to clear it. Rather just to look down and blow.

I have used both extensively. I prefer the purge (I have 4 without and 2 with). I have used them to depths of 100 feet with no problems. I do check to make sure it is working before every dive and carry a spare mask without purge in bag. Obviously you need to know how to clear your mask without one but DUH. That is not the jist of your problem as I understood it. Personally diving without a mask is no big deal to me in the ocean or fresh water. Now a pool full of Chlorine is different - ouch. In nature the view is blurry but not painfull. I laugh at the old James Bond movies where he disables bad guys by removing the mask. They Grab at their eyes like they are in agony. :rofl3: Know how to clear your mask and always have a spare mask in your bag. The purge is purely for super ease. Call me lazy. but don't call me late for the next dive :no. PS I don't dive cold water. Coldest water I have dove is in the Red Sea - about 76 degrees, so I just wore a top, no gloves - ever.

I started diving with a purge mask. I thought it was great because my mask didnt fog up very often and i could blow out my nose easily. But once i got into the ocean diving with gloves on(i dont know what temp dives you are doing) but i found it extremly hard to equalize by holding my nose because of the bulk on the gloves. There just wasnt very much space for me to hold my nose between the bottom of the masks perge. after that dive weekend i bought a new mask without a perge and was amazed how much better it was!
Masks - Scuba Diving Magazine
check that out it gives great things to think about when buying a mask.

I started diving last September and was very excited at the whole idea.
I am female and far from young!!
I like swimming but realised when I had signed up that I didn't like getting my face wet or putting my head underwater.
:dork2:

I had to have a cunning plan to get beyond that so started by getting my face wet in the shower....I kid you not!

Then progressed to the bath and managed to open my eyes in the water...big progress!
Went swimming to the local pool and became much happier with my eyes open underwater...bingo...cracked it and then when I came to start the scuba course one thing I was happy with was removing my mask underwater and realising how it is only nerves that hold you back on that.
In fact, as it seemed hard to co-ordinate everything, my mask clear would have to wait until my ears were ok and my breathing seemed comfortable.

Good luck with it all and I would tell anyone ....'if I can do it ....you can too':blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom