Mask Prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most effective method is burning the lens with a lighter. However, if the lens is plastic or has some sort of special coating, which a very few masks do, you might better check with the manufacture for their recomendation.

I too have burned every mask I have owned that I can recall. After you give up on toothpaste and magic potions and the mask still fogs, burn the inside with a BIC lighter. If you look close you can see the silicone and other contaminates burn off. Then, after the lens cools, wash it in hot water with plain DAWN dish soap.

Apply anti fog agents afterwards as usual each dive.

N

Without highjacking the thread, what is the 'flame method' all about? I just use toothpaste.. :hm:

[video=youtube_share;TxywBgSkBe4]http://youtu.be/TxywBgSkBe4[/video]

Keep in mind that the fogging/rapid clearing accompanying the initial application of a lighter flame to the mask lens is more likely to be water vapor (i.e., humidity) condensing and then evaporating due to the temp change than silicone mold break-free agent combusting. I get much better results with keeping the flame moving around the lens until the thing is damn well sooted up from burning off the coating of crap leftover from making the mask, then toothpasting that soot out of the mask. Just remember to let the glass air cool before you go putting your fingers or water on a hot lens :wink:

and how exactly will they know you used toothpaste? :confused:
if they don't tell you why not to use it i call BS on it

hmmm so DGX is the store telling you that, they don't have to honor the warranty, the manufacturer does, so what is the manufacturers opinion on toothpaste?

The minty fresh smell? Doh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom