Mask Prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGE925

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just bought a new Hollis M1 mask, and was about to apply the toothpaste to the interior face of the lens, as I've always done to new masks in the past. I then noticed that DiveGearExpress are VERY adamant that you must NOT use the toothpaste method on any mask they sell or they won't honor any warranty. This flies in the face of all other advice on the Web that continues to state that toothpast is perfectly acceptable. DGX is a pretty reliable source IMHO, so what do they know that most others don't.

Hmmm...good question. I'd give the good folks at DGX a quick call and simply ask them. Go right to the source! I've always found them to be very helpful on the phone.

PS: Don't forget to come back and tell us what they said.

Hell, even the AA Venom with the ARC coating says right on the box that toothpaste is OK. Things it says on the box are not OK is anything abrasive...apparently toothpaste doesn't count?

With uncoated masks, I've had great results with flaming the :censored: out of them with a lighter and then taking an ultrasonic toothbrush and some thick paste toothpaste to the inner lens. YMMV.

and how exactly will they know you used toothpaste? :confused:
if they don't tell you why not to use it i call BS on it

hmmm so DGX is the store telling you that, they don't have to honor the warranty, the manufacturer does, so what is the manufacturers opinion on toothpaste?

I've used a lighter on every mask I've owned, never used toothpaste. Softscrub would work... it's not toothpaste!:crafty:

Without highjacking the thread, what is the 'flame method' all about? I just use toothpaste.. :hm:

The lighter burns the silicone residue/ release agent from the glass when they manufactured the mask. There are several videos on YouTube showing how it's done. It works.

I've been using a lighter for 20 years without mishap. Here is the quote from the DGX website.

Don't use toothpaste on modern dive masks, especially those masks that have optical quality ultra-clear glass lenses, vision correction lenses or 'optical coatings' on the lenses. You will either damage the lenses, or needlessly waste toothpaste since most modern toothpaste formulations are not at all abrasive. The same goes for using a lighter to 'burn' the lens to prepare a new mask. Dive Gear Express will not warranty masks that have been treated with abrasives or burned with lighters. Most new dive masks do have mold release agents in the flexible skirt that during storage will migrate to the surface of the lens and cause fogging. These deposits can be safely removed with an extra application of a powerful surfactant like baby shampoo, SeaQuick or SeaDrops defog.

I should note I use a basic black frameless mask so there are no coatings to damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom