Mask on Forehead reliable distress signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, my name is George, and I am a mask on the forehead diver. I was taught just like everyone else, but when I come up from 48 degree water, i put the mask on my forehead and get rid of the snot that the pressure forced out of my sinuses. Then it stays there, because if I put it back on my face, it tends to fog up from the temperature difference above water, and I cannot see. I know, that is just an excuse...

When I'm on a boat or a forum and I hear someone carping on ANOTHER ADULT about how they choose to wear their mask, I have to ask myself: WHY?! It always sounds like elitism to me. :shakehead:

If someone chooses to put it on their forehead, unless that someone is under 18 and your progeny or your responsibility, it's really none of your business. If they lose it, a comment about wearing it around your neck being more secure should be sufficient.

I've never lost a mask, ever. When I'm sitting on a boat I wear it up on my forehead because it's very comfortable (I don't like the strangly feeling of having it around my neck, nor do I like pulling it down there and back up) and easy to pop back on my face, where it is any time I'm in water. And it's my choice to do so. I had some boob last summer try to tell me in front of a bunch of other divers on a boat that I was a n00b for wearing my mask the way I'd worn it when not in use for 30 years, and I just looked at this guy like he was speaking Martian. Who did he think he was, my father?

H.

glasshoppah,

Welcome to the Internet. There is a distinct difference between discussing a practice in a forum and reaming someone on a dive boat. It's unfortunate that you confused my post where I presented a few of my own reasons with "some boob" who called you a n00b.

Cheers,

Anthony

glasshoppah,

Welcome to the Internet. There is a distinct difference between discussing a practice in a forum and reaming someone on a dive boat. It's unfortunate that you confused my post where I presented a few of my own reasons with "some boob" who called you a n00b.

Cheers,

Anthony

I don't feel confused. Your post reminded me of something and I remarked accordingly. Any sense of association with you and your attitudes is yours alone.

:mooner:

G.

Is the 'Mask-on-Forehead means distress' actually written somewhere, or is just passed down thru the years, and taught as 'theory'? I agree that the mask around my neck feels like I am being choked, and I also like to splash some water on my entire face after surfaceing. It also allows for better vision in MY OPINION. Those pesky little water dots get in my way.

The mask on the forehead was taught by PADI in the mid-80's when I learned. But since then, it is no longer part of the teachings. I have asked around with multiple instructors and they all agree they don't react to anyone with the mask on their forehead as a sign of distress and they look at many other factors. Feel free to put it on your forehead and enjoy...

I'm wearing my Mask on my Forehead as I'm sitting here typing this message....

Last edited:
Wearing a Mask around my own Neck is very uncomforatble.
I wear mine on my Forehead. I thought there were only two rules in diving.
1. Physics 2. Physiology.

I'm wearing my Mask on my Forehead as I sitting typing the message....

Get some clothes on. Now I'm in distress.

OMG !!!!!!!!!!! Diver ---Are you in trouble? Do you need help????Are you in distress?

Yes, help me...please undo my weight belt and let me breath off your long hose !!!! (Insert smiley with eyes popping out here)

Back
Top Bottom