Mask on Forehead reliable distress signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow... I didn't realize you were on that dive with Walter and I, about 7 years ago.

... humm.... was probably just channeling the vibes... :coffee:

Your post was quite a flash back to that dive for me.... thanks for the memories.

A Divemaster's work requires a certain degree of flexability and willingness to be of service where one may... :rofl3::rofl3:

(You're welcome by the way... glad to brighten yer' day!)

Mask on the head may well indicate distress. But, like many things today, it can be taken to illogical extremes. When I am walking out onto the shore in 2 feet of water with fins off and exiting, I put it on my forhead because it's the logical place and it's now easier for me to see! I guess some may criticize me for that....

So what about the guy who is in distress and instead of pulling his mask completely off, or putting it on his forehead, pulls it down around his neck? Hmmm?

It does happen. I drug a guy back to the boat who did just that. Actually had to drag him up onto the deck of the boat. He was a christian, "Oh Jesus, Oh God!"

Another thing, on calm days, waiting for a boat to come and pick me up, I would take my mask off completely and clip it off, put a little air in the BC and relax waiting for the boat. I don't do it any more, for fear that I may have to smack some over jealous DM.

In my opinion the mask placement is NOT an adequate sign of a person's condition. I personally love the hand on the head sign of 'OK'. If I don't get that, I'm going to come running until I do.

So what about the guy who is in distress and instead of pulling his mask completely off, or putting it on his forehead, pulls it down around his neck? Hmmm?

This is obviously an incompetent diver who was never properly schooled in the approriate 'non-verbal' communications standards. (Probably the product of some 'dive school mill' that can be villianized in a yet to be started thread.) :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Sometimes SB reminds me of all those 'self-help books' and 'trendy group theropy' thingies from the 70's... nice to know none of that had any measurable implact on the course of civiliaztion though...

I hate this "rule", and if it's just me and my buddy (who knows me), I don't follow it; if I'm with a group, then I try to. The problem with putting it around your neck is:
a.) it's less comfortable; and more importantly
b.) it's a pain to get back on. I find pulling it up from my neck gets the strap all out of whack and I need to take the mask completely off my head and put it back on again to get the strap straight. Leaving your mask on your forhead doesn't have this problem.

People have lost track of the origins of this. Yes, it is convenient to push your mask up onto your forehead, that's why people did it ... instinctively. A sizable portion of those who did wound up losing their mask. Rather quickly it became the norm within training programs to say to anyone who did that something like, "you don't look like a diver with your mask on your forehead," or "you have your mask on your forehead, are you in trouble?"

Today it is no longer a sign of distress, it is a sign that you really don't mind buying a new mask, your LDS LOVES to see your mask on your forehead.

This is obviously an incompetent diver who was never properly schooled in the approriate 'non-verbal' communications standards. (Probably the product of some 'dive school mill' that can be villianized in a yet to be started thread.) :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Sometimes SB reminds me of all those 'self-help books' and 'trendy group theropy' thingies from the 70's... nice to know none of that had any measurable implact on the course of civiliaztion though...

If your buying someones "self-help book" its not really self-help, its help. Thanks Mr. Carlin R.I.P

If your buying someones "self-help book" its not really self-help, its help. Thanks Mr. Carlin R.I.P

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: ... yup... I forgot...

WANTED:

MOF Dive Buddy with Datamask. I will be your dive buddy until I get a datamask, yours.

Oh yeah, up her in hood and drysuit land, I like to leave the mask in place until I am no longer in the water. Sucks to place it back on and then discover that I placed it over the hood again and it is leaking.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom