Mask Off Exercises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a problem for some of my students - more so than any other skill. I heard some STRANGE noises made underwater when that mask came off and the water hit the nose.. Most people - no problem; but for the few that had problems, we would talk about the drill; practice it as a drill over and over and over - as long as they wanted; and finally move on.
Then I would do a sneak mask removal on the last dive. They wouldn't be happy, but they had the skills and confidence by then to do it without the panic attack. This is one skill that you just have to have down pat.

I would also advise that you learn to be comfortable in the water with your mask off and eyes open - unless you wear contacts.

A drill that I have done a few times involves doing an airshare where the donor loses his mask. The OOA diver is now in control of the dive. We then proceed to the surface making a slow ascent and holding each stop. It is a difficult drill and I found could only be done with my eyes open.

Yes I do carry a backup mask in my pocket.

Lauralynnee....When you first take your mask off, give yourself a second to think and keep your airway open...of course...by either exhaling a bubble stream through your nose or mouth. Do this and give yourself a few seconds to get oriented. And practice in the pool is great. I have never had my mask knocked off...yet:) I'm a bit afraid of it too...I think anyone would. When you go diving visualization of potential problems pre dive and how to solve them are an absolute necessity....You will get it right. Hang in there. It may end up being a strong point in time...

Do a mask ON drill at first.

Just get in to the water, ( waist deep) bend down and put on the mask while under water, while its full of water stand up hold it for a second then let it drain out of the bottom. Get used to a mask full of water. Now do it in different combinations, just get used to having your mask fill, taking it off , putting it on and clearing it.

Get used to doing it even if you have to spend a day in the tub or pool. If your mask floods / gets lost it will happen with out any notice.

It takes practice, now I pull my mask off just o blow my nose underwater to keep the snot out of it!

The problem I had with this skill when I got my cert was, while the mask was off, I kept feeling like I was about to spit out my regulator. I had to stop a few times in the middle of replacing the mask and press the reg tighter against my mouth. I don't know if I was breathing too hard out of my mouth or not biting hard enough on the reg, but it made this skill really difficult for me. I must admit I'm still a little apprehensive about the possibility of losing my mask on a dive, so it sounds like I'd better practice.

Hey Doug, when we come down in May, I think we'll take you up on your offer to brush up on that skill before our first dive with you. :)

Practice , practice practice , plenty of people have that problem. Ive started taking mine off everydive now just to practice .

Snorkel in the pool, without the mask, head under water in through the snorkel, out through the nose. Just get comfortable with this first, then try with the mask on and flooded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom