Mask Mounted Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with mask lights just know if it's on or not and avoid blinding your buddy. There is no reason to have your light on for a entire dive. Turn it on when you need hands free then turn it off.
Maybe not where you dive and maybe not during the day - but on a night dive Id say it pretty much is plenty of reason to keep the light on - just as it is in the daytime certain places I do open water dives around here...

What I was getting at is there is a place for a mask light as long as you are aware of where you are shining it. Also I dive deep cave wreck dirty water and night and never just leave the mask light on the whole time only when my hands are busy causing the light to flash around like there is a issue or I am working on a artifact. But like a recommended to the OP the UK or the light monkey ones

Your buddies don't complain when you use this one?

Not as of yet. I also take care so that I am aware that I could shine in their eyes. I usually look toward them as opposed to at them. These lights are small and work well for me.

Tillytec make what looks like a good one.

Have you used it? I got one and tried it out and was not impressed. And I'm a TillyTec dealer but I won't recommend this light. It's not very bright and is difficult to turn on and off. What I like in a mask light is one I can turn on and off with one hand, it's lightweight, compact, and durable. The Q40 is not durable. I used a couple of those and they either had bulb failures or flooded. I used an Intova for a while but am not a fan of the CR123 batteries (pretty inconvenient and expensive) and they are heavy. Currently I use a SEAC R1. It uses 3 AAA batteries, is made of lightweight aluminum, has a push button activation, and has different settings. It is also really durable. I've thrown one 20 feet in the air, had it crash down on a concrete floor, and it still works. It's brightest setting is brighter than some canister lights (I thought my student's canister light battery was dying...turns out it wasn't...) and on 50% you have 20+ hours of burn time.

I cave dive, so lots of reel/spool work going on. I'd prefer my buddy had a small mask light to illuminate his working with this hands, instead of his bright hand-mounted light jiggling up and down as he winds in or whatever. That quickly moving light catches my eye and makes my heart pound....but it is not an emergency signal, just him winding up his reel. Yeah, yeah, I know, I should be illuminating his reel for him, but in real life it doesn't always work out so well. My point is, there is a time and a place for mask lights, and they don't need to be so strong they blind the buddy. A glowstick doesn't do the job for anything other than gauges....and is not allowed everywhere.

wrong procedure ..... your friend have to clip his light on his chest ring and you have to light his hands and assist if

he needed !

wrong procedure ..... your friend have to clip his light on his chest ring and you have to light his hands and assist if

he needed !

Or you can use a mask light to light up your hands and see what you're doing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.

Back
Top Bottom