Mask Mounted Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the used the UK SuperQ as a mask light and on my harness as backup lights. I was having issues with them getting moisture in them on deeper dives 200+. However I sent them back to UK and they were replaced no questions asked. I been using the Light Monkey 2W Leds and they are great no issues. Just be aware if your mask lights on try to avoid blinding a buddy if your diving with one. I use the mask light when working on a artifact and need hands free or when making a jump in a cave.

As a buddy, I absolutely hate them as the user blinds you every time you make eye contact....... better off with something in a soft goodman handle/light sock..
I agree. Mask mounted lights are a bad idea. Just ask your buddy.

Unless you do either of two things:
a) mount the light so it looks over there to the left and then learn to look other there to the left when you need some light.
b) mount the light so it looks straight ahead and learn to look over there to the left any time you want to interact with your buddy. this will also require that your buddy learns to stay over there to the left.

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 08:49 PM ----------

this concept reminds of a research project for self guided wheel chairs that relied upon sensing where the occupants eyes were directed. Total failure.

the system worked perfectly as designed. unfortunately when avoiding obstacles, humans look directly at the obstacle they are trying to avoid.

Diving Hand Held LED Lights - Dive Gear Express

Dive Mini Light by aquatec. I have these (2 each) on 3 of my masks. They are not blinding and are great for reading you computer, gauges, and a good bit in front of you. If you need more than this it will blind others and you would do better as said above, something with a soft or hard goodman handle. Mark

Your buddies don't complain when you use this one?

Simply stated, mask lights SUCK! Put a glow light on you gaugesi If you need light, and a light in a light sock in the back of your hand in a light sock if you need your fingers free..

Those lights are just 30 lumens....going to be hard to blind your buddy that way! I'll bet some of the newer computers are brighter than that!

---------- Post added February 1st, 2014 at 03:11 PM ----------

Simply stated, mask lights SUCK! Put a glow light on you gaugesi If you need light, and a light in a light sock in the back of your hand in a light sock if you need your fingers free..

I cave dive, so lots of reel/spool work going on. I'd prefer my buddy had a small mask light to illuminate his working with this hands, instead of his bright hand-mounted light jiggling up and down as he winds in or whatever. That quickly moving light catches my eye and makes my heart pound....but it is not an emergency signal, just him winding up his reel. Yeah, yeah, I know, I should be illuminating his reel for him, but in real life it doesn't always work out so well. My point is, there is a time and a place for mask lights, and they don't need to be so strong they blind the buddy. A glowstick doesn't do the job for anything other than gauges....and is not allowed everywhere.

There is nothing wrong with mask lights just know if it's on or not and avoid blinding your buddy. There is no reason to have your light on for a entire dive. Turn it on when you need hands free then turn it off.

OP is open water diving, and a dive count of 0-24 in the Great Lakes. No need for a mask light. Needs a good light to punch the crud. They may be wonderful for caves.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom