mask marks on face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
This may sound like a really dumb question but don't laugh,I'm serious. I just had neck surgery and I swim every day at lunch to stay in shape. Since the surgery I have been snorkeling so that I don't have to lift my head out of the water as I am still in a neck brace. Anyway, my scuba mask leaves a very obvious mark on my forehead and cheek which takes the rest of the day to go away. I have my mask strap sloppy loose and my mask if very comfortable. Since I have to go back to work after swimming this is very embarrassing. Any suggestions?

If you were having this problem while after diving, not snorkelling, it would probably be mask squeeze - the air volume within the mask contracts at depth due to pressure differential between the air and surrounding water, pulling the mask hard against your face. The solution to that is to add more air to your mask through your nose whenever you feel the mask "squeezing" against your face.

But if you're on the surface, it's probably a poorly fitted mask, even though it may feel comfortable. Unless you have an older style mask, with a non-silicone skirt, which may be just too hard for your skin. I suggest you try holding the mask against your face, without the strap around your head, and see if you can inhale through your nose gently and let go with your fingers, and keep the mask on your face without holding on to it or using the straps. This is usually a good indication for a well-fitted mask. You should be able to create a seal around the mask with just your inhalation. If it doesn't stay on, it's not the right shape for your face, and you might want to try a new mask. Or you could switch to goggles for snorkelling in the pool (but never did with goggles! you can't add air to equalize them and you get eyeball squeeze instead).

Ben

Tracydr

Altho Bens suggestion is the most likely, another to consider is your mask. I have had this problem with mine. Where the mask seals to the face, you may find there is jagid edging causing it to rub on your face...I ended up with cuts all under my nose...very painful!

But I do think Bens suggestion is more of the obvious....mines just one from experience.

The mask is fairly new with silicone skirt. I also get marks from my swim goggles, I have the more expensive kind which are more like a dive mask. I get a good seal without any problem. When I tried snorkeling with my swim goggles I kept getting water up my nose for some crazy reason. I think though that I just have very sensitive skin. After diving I always have a mask mark all day, even though I relieve the squeeze with air. I think I'm going to have to resort to putting some makeup in my swim bag!!

Tracy,

You could have and allergic reaction to the silicon, try out a different mask and see if the results are the same.

ID

Just wondering...is the mark an indentation from the mask, or a rash? Are you drinking enough water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom