Mask leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on, I don't see that guy wearing a diving mask and I don't see that guy on Barnwood Builders either
and Marie13 is right you know, there was an ooh ah there's too much pressing on my upper lip thing a few years back so "they" started modelling most of the masks on Freddie Mercury

+1 for the Edge masks. I was lucky and found mine early without going through too many - my Edge mask fits great, no leaks, no complaints at all despite my (not short) facial hair. Obviously ymmv. fwiw, I scrubbed it with barkeeper's friend out of the box and hit it with 1:10 baby shampoo mix before splashing and my mask is the last thing I have to think about.

So I tried both the Edge and Beuchat masks - not even close to fitting. The quest continues :) Fortunately, I have the Vida which is pretty darn close to a perfect fit.

Hello.
I am having an issue with my masks leaking around my nose. I suspect the issue is due to the "laugh lines" between my nose and mouth. I'm looking for DIY fixes since this is happening with 4 different masks. All of them "fit" when I place the mask to my face and breath in through my nose. I hear a small wind sound with one of them but not the other 3. The issues seems to present itself once I place the reg in my mouth (slightly altering the lines of my mouth). I've read about guys with mustaches using Vasoline, lip balm, silicone grease, beeswax and beard products to help with leaks due to their facial hair. Would any of these help to seal the tiny leak that apparently forms with my face? If so, which, in your learned opinions, would be best? Mind you, I'd like to stay away from Vasoline (petroleum jelly).

Thanks!

If diving in currents notice if the flooding is happening when you turn your head where the current is in your face. If you are going down or cross current and the mask floods, try tightening the strap. I could not keep dry 2 weeks ago in Honduras and that was my fix. I know it sucks to have to tighten it, but oh well

scubapro mask.jpg
Best mask I have had in years, if like me you have 'face fuzz', have a look at this mask, 2 dive yesterday and could not fault it with a strong surge on the surface,had the mask kicked off by a new diver [excited to see a turtle] at 10m , very easy to replace and clear.
Out of the masks I use in order:
1. The above
2. Scubapro Solo
3. Hollis M 1
4. my old TUSA [Tabata] I can't give up but don't dive anymore [like my old friends], took it to a pool dive with advanced students [not mine,I am retired] and they had a good laugh, one comment was "that's so 1980 ies', bucket to clear. True, but older then most you and still works.

Hello.
I am having an issue with my masks leaking around my nose. I suspect the issue is due to the "laugh lines" between my nose and mouth. I'm looking for DIY fixes since this is happening with 4 different masks. All of them "fit" when I place the mask to my face and breath in through my nose. I hear a small wind sound with one of them but not the other 3. The issues seems to present itself once I place the reg in my mouth (slightly altering the lines of my mouth). I've read about guys with mustaches using Vasoline, lip balm, silicone grease, beeswax and beard products to help with leaks due to their facial hair. Would any of these help to seal the tiny leak that apparently forms with my face? If so, which, in your learned opinions, would be best? Mind you, I'd like to stay away from Vasoline (petroleum jelly).

Thanks!
My wife has the same problem, and we found that both the mask and the snorkel mouthpiece were part of the problem. The wider the snorkel mouthpiece, the easier it is for her to have a waterproof mask. The mask needs to be adjusted correctly too. But try a wider mouthpiece on the snorkel/scuba second stage.

Edit: Delete

Has anyone tried a molded mouthpiece? I'm wondering if by using a molded (form fitting) mouthpiece, my face wouldn't "distort" as much and allow the mask to seal more like it does without a reg in my mouth.

Has anyone tried a molded mouthpiece? I'm wondering if by using a molded (form fitting) mouthpiece, my face wouldn't "distort" as much and allow the mask to seal more like it does without a reg in my mouth.

You don't want your jaws to be clamped shut. Kinda hard to breathe through your mouth that way. So, I suspect a molded mouthpiece would still have your jaws basically the same distance apart as if you were using a normal mouthpiece. In which case, I would not expect any change to the mask seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom