Mask leak - what glue to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leon7997

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
many views but no replies so far on Sherwood forum, so I'll ask here too ...

Mag4 Gauge Reader mask leak?
bought it online, vendor said it was "used" but looked new to me when it arrived ... sealed ok in living room (no-strap inhale thru nose test) ... take it diving and leaked ... switched to previous mask and completed the day's dives ... asked dive shop owner about it, thought maybe not having shaved in 2 days would be the issue, but was not ... even took a razor to dive site and it didn't help ... bought some Mask Seal and cleaned the skin oils off the skirt and my face with gauze dipped in rubbing alcohol ... still feeling air entering during inhale test ... then closer examination of the nose bridge area revealed a gap between the vertical frame piece and the lenses on both sides, on the outer side away from my face, into which I can insert a pointed toothpick ... so now I'm thinking THAT is where my leakage is occurring ... what should I use to seal that gap, superglue, Aqua Seal, or what ?

I am not clear exactly where your leak is. If it is a hole in the silicon skirt, I suspect it can not be repaired (maybe waterbed patch). If it is between the frame/lens/skirt, you may be able to disassemble the frame, reseat the skirt, and reassemble. This would work on many framed masks but I am not familiar with your particular mask. Be careful with disassembly as frame damage is another retiring flaw.

aqua seal (clear) or 3M 5200 (white) might work, but might also create a pressure point on your nose/face.

its a bad mask, return it, used does not mean defective

thanks, I'll dab a bit of AquaSeal in the holes and let it cure for a day or 2, test it down at the end of my street (shore of lake Ontario), and post the results

I'm not surprised that the manufacturer hasn't given you a prompt response on how to fix the mask. There might be liability issues. In addition, for most scuba products, gear manufacturers will only offer a product warranty to the original purchaser of the equipment (sometimes only if the gear was purchased from an authorized dealer). If you purchased your mask "used," then you need to discuss your problems with the entity that sold you the mask (the retailer).

The last thing a newbie diver needs to be worrying about is a defective mask.

I don't think you should be messing around with Aquaseal or waterbed repair glue.

Any decent retailer wouldn't be caught dead selling a "used" mask which leaked. One way or another, the company should make the situation "right." Contact the retailer that sold you the leaky mask. Explain the situation to a customer service rep in a calm manner. I'm sure that the retailer would be happy to replace the mask with another used one to keep you as a happy customer. This is exactly the kind of customer service that I would expect from any good retailer.

Aquaseal can be used to form a watertight seal, how well it works on the silicone of your mask is another question.

Online vendor could be individual in which case, especially after glue has been applied, it is sold as is, buyer beware. Plus it was mentioned that after arrival it passed the inhale test at home.

Masks can have a frame that the glass mounts in, are the holes between glass and frame or between frame and silicone or entirely within the silicone?

How much did you pay for this used mask? I hope it's little enough that you can just walk away and get a good one from a reputable source. How much do you have invested in diving?

Pete

Obviously some paper glued together involving a Washington

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom