Mask incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu:
Remember that controlling bouyancy is impossible without any reference to up/down.

You can also use your ears as a reference.

Good job, I had a similar experience on my first "deep dive" but luckily there was a line to use and an instructor there to help.

Great job. Hopefully many will read and heed.

I frequently slip the mask over my arm just for practice. I'm comfortable and can still see blurry features but can not read gauges. I'm still not ready to carry a spare mask (the BP/wing was to streamlining move). Last weekend I got the idea of trying one lens from a pair of swimming goggles. I figured if I could roll over and catch enough exhaled air in the goggle as I slipped it over my eye, I would be able to read depth. It's a good thing that it is hard to hear laughter underwater. Not at all successful but I'm not ready to give up yet.

Well done!! Good recovery.

I thought carrying a spare mask was a done thing, surprised when your buddy didn't have one either!

I have a cheapy mask in my BC pocket too. Always advise my students to go down that route when they can afford it too!

Good save :)

A buddy and I ran some Computer Simulations - including what to do if you screw up and owe some Decom time, etc. Then we talked about carrying a spare mask in the BC pocket; he wasn't interested.

Then I said: "You know how things go wrong in pairs and threesomes? How would you like to do that Decom after knocking your mask off and not finding it...?" We always carrry spares, streamlined or not.

DandyDon:
Awhat to do if you screw up and owe some Decom time.

OK, that got me to thinking. Just how do you "screw up" and incur a deco obligation? It really isn't that hard to tell time. Are we really talking about planned recreational deco dives? Or are we really thinking that the rec diver who gets distracted and doesn't pay attention as the NDL ticks away into small single digits is going to make up for it by carrying a spare mask.

Well, for me - overdrawing my puter might be planned. For him, it would be a screw up, but you know - things happen, especially if he's following a woman.

Anyway, it's good to have plans for ascending safely without a mask, but I'll keep carrying my spare anyway...

good job

that's exactly right: as long as you can breathe, you are ok

i also have carried a spare mask in the past, but find it unecessarily redundant
in open water. i know from experience i can keep my eyes open indefinetely in
salt water.

Doing DIR-F was the first time I tried to control depth with no visual reference. Removing the mask, giving it to instructor, sitting in hover. It's actually not that bad. You'd be amazed how good your ears will tell you about depth if you pay attention. I think I moved about 2' my first attempt. Not really sure how long mask was gone for, seemed like a long bloody time.

Good job handling the situation though. All that matters is that you both got out safe, and nobody panicked.

Nice save. Seems like, at 90' with 800psi, the dive was about over anyway.
I like to practice stuff during the safety stop, like mask removal/replace. But I wear contacts and if they get lake/salt water on them I gotta' toss 'em. So I keep my eyes closed. For some reason, I always feel like I've moved more than I have and am always relieved to see how little my position has changed when I open my eyes. But for me, I find it difficult to feel how much I'm really moving with my eyes closed.
Need more practice. Good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom