Do you wear or mask in or out of your hood

• Inside

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • outside

Votes: 37 75.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueWaterDiving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been covered or not. I wear mine inside the hood. It seems a little more secure. What do you all think?

It depends on your situation. Outside the hood runs a risk of getting kicked off. Inside the hood opens gaps that allows cold water into your hood. Also if it's inside and gets kicked, you run the risk of not being able to get it seated right to be able to clear. With it outside the hood, you can take it off if it gets cock-eyed.

I've done it both ways. Normally I have a long surface swim, so don't wear my mask on the surface. And If I were to tuck it in my hood for the swim it would be all fogged up by the time I get to the "wall"

Agree with dsgobie, outside so i can remove on surface swims from beach

RJ

I don't see the point of wearing it inside. What if you don't wear a hood ? Where "the inside" will be then ?

MonkSeal

When in 50F water, you want as little of it next to your head as possible... Worn on the inside, the straps would create unwanted gaps. One option that I've seen some people use is to wear two hoods. A thin semi-dry with good seals, then the mask, then a thicker hood on top of the mask. This will keep the mask secure, but you still have to deal with the potential difficulty of re-sealing the mask if it floods or gets dislodged. I'd say much depends on the dive, conditions, preference, etc.

-Roman.

Actually, I use a beanie rather than a hood as I dive mostly in warm water. It is easier to have the mask strap on the outside as the mask is the last thing to go on in my gearing up sequence.

Outside!

Its convenient if you need to take it off like existing on a beach with a long walk or needing to peer through binoculars etc.

And is easier to replace with backup mask.

Lastly, the mask is my first piece of dive equipment i put on (wearing it around my neck while i suit up and prepare to dive) and is the second to last thing i put in place before i dive.

It usually goes Mask then regulator and dive, dive, dive....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom