Mask Help!! Under nose not sealing :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HM_legon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been trying to get my dad back into diving before we take a trip to Florida later this summer and go diving in the gulf so he'll be prepared, but I cannot for the life of me find a mask anywhere that will seal for him. He had a full beard, then in an effort to get a seal he went full Amish shaving his upper lip clean, but still there is a slowish but constant leak of water into the nose pocket of evey mask I own.
The seal on the upper lip never holds and lets a considerable amount of water in, some at slower rates that other masks.

This issue is possibly due to him previously being thrown on his face repeatedly while doing ju-jitsu for years.
It would not surprise me if he had an irregular geometry in his face.

Ive tried the following masks,
-Atomic Venom

-"Frameless UDT SEAL style mask new made copy of the scubapro" from scuba museum

-Tusa Freedom HD

-some generic amazon mask
https://a.co/d/hLYL4Hp

He is not enjoying diving in the pool much less in some murky central texas lake. I'm hoping yall might have a suggestion for what to try next.
20240724_230257.jpg

Is the on land mask test holding up for him even with the leaking masks? When sucking in remaining air from the nose, does the mask stay in place on the face ? The check needs to be done with the strap hanging loose in front…

Most new masks these days have a very soft and pliable inner skirt made of silicone. Therefore sealing should not be such a problem if the size and fit matches the face. Is the strap set to be too loose?

If the on land mask check catches the issue then perhaps the best bet would be to walk into a dive shop and try on a range of masks.

Yeah you're spot on it's not you it's not him, it's them those that make the masks when
many years ago there were whiners, complaining about too much under nose pressure

I cannot for the life of me find a mask anywhere that will seal for him.

So them listened made new moulds removed too much material and they all leak there

Unless you used to be Freddy Mercury or swim face immovable like a terracotta warrior

So in my quest I have accumulated so many dozens of masks, which I now send around
the country and around the world for free as my contribution to those maskless masses

Websites advertising masks don't often give you a picture inside the mask or clear view

So what's left is to look at masks where the under nose gouge doesn't sit to far forward

An art unto itself

I'll bid you adieu

Your mask strap might simply be too tight. When it’s too tight, it doesn’t form a good seal and can leak.

It can be worth having a regulator mouthpiece you can put in whilst trying masks on. Generally people try a mask in a shop, and it seems to fit but then leaks slightly once actually diving (I know I've had this!). By having a mouthpiece you can change the shape of your upper lip in the same was as having a regulator in, so it replicates diving. Might be worth a try.
Rich

Four masks is a small sample. Go to a good shop with 30+ masks, a knowledgeable sales person who can show you how to check fit, and a reasonable exchange policy after a pool test.

No way for water to get in at his nose if the mask is sealed up top and he is looking forward. Go to a shop and try on a bunch of masks. Take a snorkel with you and have him put that in his mouth because it is similar to the distortion a regulator will cause to the lips. I have a full beard and don't shave or use any aides. A well fit mask that does not have hair in any of the seals will keep his eyes dry. Masks come in different sizes for some brands as well so he might need a small or large.

20240720_103111.jpg

Back
Top Bottom