Mask for Big Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h2oDawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need some suggestions on a mask. I have tried numerous mask on at the LDS pool, to include, Atomic Venom, Tusa Viso Tri-ex and many others. The problem is I have a large head but the mask always leaks around my mustache or the side of my head behind my eyes. I've shave my mustache to find a better fit and still no luck. Currently I use the ScubaPro Crystal Vu Plus, but I have use vasoline to seal the mask. Any suggestions?

when you try on masks in the shop do you have a reg or at least a snorkel in your mouth? If you're trying them in the pool I assume so, but just in case you're not... Using a reg changes the shape of your face and can make a difference.

My husband shaves a bit off the top of his mustache when diving and has good results with that. He thought he had a big head and leaned towards trying masks that seemed bigger or were said to fit a bigger face, and found his head apparently wasn't as big as he thought. :wink: Or at least his face. If it's leaking at the sides behind the eyes that could be a mask that's too big rather than too small. So if you're not already, keep an open mind and try everything available. And if you can check out other shops that may carry other brands.

h2oDawg, you will probably not like my answer, but I've never been known to sugar coat things. Sometimes in life, things just suck. Now with that being said I kinda know what you are going through. My father has the same issue and owns more mask than anyone I know. If you have the funds to spend, look into a Full Face Mask (there are several manufacturers). But before you buy, ask your local shops if you can demo one. This still may not be a solution, but out of all the ones you mentioned, none were Full Face Mask. For what it is worth, in our area, a lot of divers with the same issue tend to take the plunge and spend the extra money to get a Full Face Mask. In the end they get to enjoy diving comfortably, which is what all of our goals are in diving. For the cost of 4 or 5 traditional mask (Good Quality I might add) that you would buy then not use, it would pay for a Full Face Mask. The initial investment sounds high, but the enjoyment afterwards is well worth it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I did try with snorkel and/or regulator. The mustache is not as much of the problem as the side of my head. I do have a big head and need a larger or wider mask to cover the gap right behind my eyes. I have tried all the brands that are here locally. I was planning on ordering a few online and see if I can find something that fits but wanted to narrow down my options first by posting this.

I have a giant melon myself. Two masks that have worked great for me: Tilos Titanica and Aqua Lung Impression.

Tusa Visualator. A great mask for those of us with big heads/wide faces. I've tried almost all of the larger masks, and this is the best, by far. One additional tip: don't over-tighten any mask: it distorts the fit and will cause leaking.

Thanks for the advice. I've seen the Tusa Visualator on another post about wide faces. tightening is not really the issue but thanks for the tip. I can't get most of the mask to pass the inhalation test. Is the Tusa Visualator been discontinued? I can't find it in stock on many online shops.

---------- Post added May 24th, 2014 at 03:56 PM ----------

I have a giant melon myself. Two masks that have worked great for me: Tilos Titanica and Aqua Lung Impression.

which one do you currently use?

The Tusa Visualator is available from Leisure Pro and from Amazon, among other sources. Believe me, it's the best mask for a wide face. I had the same problems you described, and worse. Getting a Visualtor was a real game changer for me.

I've tried everything mentioned in this string and the Visualator was so superior that I have two still sealed in airtight packaging, just in case they ever are discontinued. They are that good. You really should try one. They are easily returnable, but I suspect you'll keep it.

Impression is my new one. So far so good...I have two of them. One with prescription, one for when I wear contacts.

The Tusa Visualator is available from Leisure Pro and from Amazon, among other sources. Believe me, it's the best mask for a wide face. I had the same problems you described, and worse. Getting a Visualtor was a real game changer for me.

I've tried everything mentioned in this string and the Visualator was so superior that I have two still sealed in airtight packaging, just in case they ever are discontinued. They are that good. You really should try one. They are easily returnable, but I suspect you'll keep it.

I just ordered the Visualator, but it has been discontinued found a shop online that still had one. Thank you again for the advice. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom