Mask Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who would like to get Clorox in his eyes? Abrasive materials? Slate cleaner? Sand? Sand?! Toothpaste? All of these are the last thing one would like to have on his eyes.."Fog" will be his lesser problem..
Better to avoid any material that its residuals may get in your eyes by mistake.

I recommend again to use the most natural and effective anti-fog: Spit.

If you want to have a better quality anti-fog: eat a few biscuits a few minutes before the dive. You'll have some extra starch in your mouth and the spit will be more effective.

The sand and Comet were last ditch efforts, and I'd only recomend to the extermely desprite. Spit and flooding my mask once or twice works.

Only one person even referred to 500psi

Your mask I'm sure is already clean... the film the others speak of comes off quite easily with just a tad of toothpaste and a little elbow grease...

HOWEVER... I've had cheap masks
(uuuhh humm "A CHEAP MASK" as in singular)
before... spit is pretty much useless, MOST ALL DEFOG IS GARBAGE

GO BUY SOME 500 PSI

It's like magic

remember 500 PSI

say it ten times and never forget it again "500 PSI"

O.K. then you get the point.... 500 PSI

If you are already using 500 PSI and your mask is still fogging, take it back to K-Mart and get a refund.... then go buy a good mask.

In case you are wondering that was SIX refrences to 500 PSI, make that seven

Good Luck :D

I was told that when masks are made that there is a then layer of something on the lens to protect it from getting scratch while they are making it. Too remove this your LDS should sell a cleaner that removes this layer, but don't waste money buying some 'special' product. Just use toothpaste like everyone suggests. Just rub it on and scrub with your finger for like 5 mins on each side and then rinse it off really good. This should be the only time you have to toothpaste your mask. After this you can use spit or commercial defog to keep your mask from fogging during your dives. But if you don;t do the toothpaste thing with a new mask, it won't matter how much spit or defog you use, your mask will always fog up. At least you have been getting some low vis diving skills done!

Someone said no nose breathing. How do you equalize your mask then? I nose breathe constantly, and never have a problem with fogging. I do this to equalize both my ears and mask. Everyone has alreayd gone through the cleaning phase, which is good. However, there is one thing no one mentioned that I see people do a lot. Once they put the defog in their mask, they do not let it dry. They simply wash it out right a way. I always use defog onthe inside and outside of my mask. I put it on a couple of minutes before I dive. Then I simply dip the mask in water. I notice a lot of people wash the mask out with there hands. They are simply removing the defog. Just dip the mask in the water and pour it out. I also put silicone on the inside seal of the mask to help seal it to my face better. This keeps out more moisture that could cause fogging. I found that once I started this routine, my mask never fogs up even the slightest bit.

I cleaned mine with toofpaste, then I took some windex too it, still got steamy, I was *****ing about it to a guy on a charter boat and he appeared to try and set fire to it, all the lenses went black, but once rinsed it was perfect. If all else fails use a lighter and burn the thin coating of silicone off!!!!!

Trust me I'm a diver:mean:

Originally posted by vicky
Have you considered spitting on it?

It helps..
I've come to realize that there is good spit...and then there's bad spit. Mine's useless. Now my instructor's - his worked like a charm.

Did I mention 500 PSI???? :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom