Mask Fogging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjp

Reaction score
I got a new mask a couple months ago when my cheapy decided to leak during my first night dive! Anyhow, I don't know the brandof this mask, but it foggs right away on every dive...no matter how much de-fog i use. I used some mask cleaner and that helped for half of my dive on Tuesday then the second die I was fogged as soon as I hit the water. Thankfully I had a back up mask I had borrowed. Any suggestions. I haven't had the mask that long and it's always fogging. I think I shuld bring it back tot he shop I bought it at BUT my husband is the manager and doesn't see it the same way for some reason :)

TIA for any suggestions.

Clean that bugger without delay... no, I mean REALLY put some elbow grease into it. I have my students all spend 10 minutes or so cleaning out their face masks... whether it is an old or new mask. Then I use any commercial defogger (my fav is the stuff by Sea Vision) and they are good to go!

White tooth paste works the best because it is slightly abrasive..There is a leftover film from the manufacturing process. Use an old tooth brush and a few drops of tooth paste and some elbow grease.:wink:

NINJA

I also agree with using the toothpaste to clean your mask on a regular basis.I would also like to add one more tip that has helped me.Put a coat of baby shampoo inside your mask and let dry, or right rub a coat on right before you dive(either way works well).Make sure you dip the mask in water(clean fresh water if available) right before you dive.Put the mask on and dive before the water dries in it.It seems the moist glass resists fogging better than diving with glass dry on the inside.This has seemed to help out my mask fogging quite a bit.And dont exhale through your nose.Dive safe!!

One thing I learned last year when i had a fogging problem was to clean the mask with tooth paste(not gel) or soft scrub(a cleaing compound made by clorox) until you are convinced it has to be clean. Then clean it again the same way as if it was the first time cleaning it. Then do it again. Now use baby shampoo or psi 500 or other defog agent just before every dive. The surfactants in these products keeps the moisture in the mask face from condensing and forming water droplets that we recognize as mask fog.

tjp- "Anyhow, I don't know the brandof this mask, but it foggs right away on every dive...no matter how much de-fog i use. "

I have the same problem with mine. Everyone already hit the big things to clean masks with... toothpaste, Softscrub, Comet, sand (may or may not be an option), slate cleaner. This along with defog should work. No nose breathing. What I got to work for me, spit and flooding my mask once or twice during the dive.

Originally posted by jbd
...or soft scrub(a cleaing compound made by clorox)...
Just to clarify, DO NOT USE CLOROX. Soft Scrub works great, that's what I use on new masks. But Clorox cleaner itself uses an abrasive that can scratch the mask lens.

Roak

Don't use the Comet style cleaners unless you want Texas style vis all of the time. And Kapphiene... I think I would avoid sand too. I use Crest... it gets the yellow and the grime out and doesn't screw my mask up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom