mask fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
I need a new mask as does my wife. I have great vision but my wife needs corrected lenses.

First of all how should we go about deciding on a mask for me? What things should I be looking for as far as design goes? Of special importance of course is fit. My old mask does not fit well at the sides and so leaks water in. Consequently I usually have just rented a mask but now want to buy one.

How do I go about finding one that fits well and will not leak? I think the way to do it is to put the mask on and then breath in through my nose, thus creating a vacuum in the mask. Then if the mask keeps its vacuum I figure it will not leak while diving. Is that the way to do it or not?

How do we go about getting a mask with corrected lenses for my wife? Will she need to buy a mask that fits and then send it in somewhere to have corrected lenses installed or do we install the lenses ourselves? I suppose that not all masks will accept replacement corrected lenses. How do we know which ones will? Thanks, Rufous.

I always learned that you put the mask on your face without the straps - give it a little push to "burp" some of the air out and if it stays there via a vacuum, it's a good fit. After I put a mask on via this method I give shake my head a little to see if it stays put, it if falls off easily it's probably a little big.

Basically masks come in all shapes and sizes. Typically you have what they call "high volume" masks and "low volume" masks - along with some with special coatings and lenses to keep "true" colors underwater. There's really no "better" mask, just one that you like and fits you well and doesn't leak.

High volume masks GENERALLY fog easier, but have a lot of viewable area. (Example I use a Tusa Visualator - it's freakin' huge but I love it - I can see everything) As for fogging, just buy some Sea Drops or something to rub around in there.

Low volume masks sit closer to the bridge of your nose, fog less, and have slightly more restricted vision to the sides and bottom.

I believe that your local dive shop can order the mask you want with the proper prescription directly from the manufacturer, so that shouldn't be a problem. They should also be able to tell you which models can take prescription lenses, but I'm pretty certain that 99% of the masks out there can be fitted with them.

rufous:
How do I go about finding one that fits well and will not leak? I think the way to do it is to put the mask on and then breath in through my nose, thus creating a vacuum in the mask. Then if the mask keeps its vacuum I figure it will not leak while diving. Is that the way to do it or not?

The right mask will stay put without sucking in. If you have to suck in through your nose, then it doesn't fit. Just press it on your face, close the air passageway to your nose (which feels a bit like sucking in), and the mask will stay put. If it's the right mask, you can walk around with it like that with no strap and it'll just stay until you exhale through your nose.

FWIW, I had an issue with the Cressi Big Eyes leaking at the sides and I got a Mares X-Vision, which is the most perfect mask I have ever used with a wider field of vision than the Big Eyes. Might be worth a shot for you.

For your wife, I would try to make really sure you find the right mask...like if possible, even try it in water with contacts. Because those lenses can be really pricey and it would be a bummer to find out it hits the bridge of her nose or something else you might only notice after using it for a while..

How bad is her vision? My wife's is really bad, so she actually decided *not* to get a prescription mask. Even walking across rocks to get to the water without corrective lenses is impossible for her, and you can't wear your mask everywhere. Wearing contacts is a pain, I imagine, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good luck :)

Gregg

I need a new mask too. Thanks for the tips. My old mask was 17 years old and the skirt finally ripped. I loved it because I have a small face and it fit me perfectly. I do have another one called a Puma Baby, but I hate the name. I figured when I got certified, I was finally doing something grown up, and got a mask named "baby." :blah:

I may have missed it in the posts but be sure to have a mouthpiece in your mouth when trying masks. it can change the fit.

Dive it a few times to confirm that it's a keeper and then your dive shop can send nearly any mask out for prescription overlays. I have bifocals and they work out great!

If it's a simple prescription there are some masks that take off the shelf stock lenses. Your LDS will know what's what. If anyone starts fudging prescription/lense specs because of "the effect of being underwater run it past you prescribing optometrist.

It seems like a bit of an investment but the joy of geting out of the water with comfortable eyes is worth it. In some cases it's also a big safety factor. Considering your overall investment in the sport it's small money.

Pete

One of the first things I do when fiiting a mask is to look at it on my face in a mirror. I am hard to fit for a mask, so I'm very particular in how I go about fitting it. First I look to see how it looks, if it doen't look like it fits it probably doesn't. Next still in the mirror I check to see where both seals fit on my face. If both seals are not touching skin it probably will not work well. You want both seals against skin ultimately. I sometimes have had to compromise on the outside seal touching skin, but most people should not have to make this compromise. After this I do the other checks that people have already discussed.

Oh, I always try on every mask in the shop. I do it in a multiple pass scenario, where on the first pass I am not trying to pick a mask I'm just trying to elimanate what are not possible options.

The second pass is to go thru the remaining masks and trying to make a better and not so good pile. Then I continue to make passes thru these piles in the same manner until I have selected the best possible mask. This really does not take that long. Usually I can do the whole process in under 10 minutes.

Ten years ago to find a mask might require this process in multiple dive shops to get the best possible fit.

Oh the number one rule when diving with me is not to make me smile or laugh u/w as this always causes my mask to flood. But for some reason people seem to go to extraordinary lengths to break this rule!!!

So anyway thats what I thing For Whatever its Worth!

Edit: Oops second thought; if you wear your mask on your forehead the mirror is a must otherwise how will you know how you look!

I sure appreciate your advice. We will start trying on several different masks to see what fits best and then figure out about getting special lenses for my wife. Rufous.

All of the advice given has been exactly what you need. I use a Mares X Vision and love the mask but have determined after buying and installing readers that it is too small for my fat face. In it's defense though, I have very large laugh line creases. Be sure to put a reg in your mouth also. Here is a link for the place that put my reading glasses in my mask. Very good people and service. http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

Good luck, I am looking too.

A combination of several of these ideas.

1. Move the mask strap around to the front of the mask, freeing the mask skirt of any obstruction.
2. Tilt your head back, look at the ceiling, and lay the mask in the proper position on your face, careful not to let the mask slip off and fall the ground and potentially get damaged. (do not apply any pressure to it, gravity only)
3. Remove your hands from the mask and take a gentle breath in through your nose. If the mask instantly seals to your face with only gravity's help, you have a good candidate.
4. Contingency: if no mask seals with this method, get a new face :) or an LDS with a wider selection.

Back
Top Bottom