Mask Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ereediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for some imput on masks, I have an Aqualung Tyke mask which seemed to fit fine in the store and in the pool. Once I got down to thirty to fourty feet, It pushed against the top of my nose at the eye brows. Equalizing would not fix the problem. I took the mask back to the Dive shop and they said I could replace it. However, everything they had was just as close to the bridge of my nose as my original. Anyone have a similar problem and find as mask that fits. If so could you tell me what mask. Or have any suggestions on a fix. I still got my cert.

ereediver:
I'm looking for some imput on masks, I have an Aqualung Tyke mask which seemed to fit fine in the store and in the pool. Once I got down to thirty to fourty feet, It pushed against the top of my nose at the eye brows. Equalizing would not fix the problem. I took the mask back to the Dive shop and they said I could replace it. However, everything they had was just as close to the bridge of my nose as my original. Anyone have a similar problem and find as mask that fits. If so could you tell me what mask. Or have any suggestions on a fix. I still got my cert.

i had the same problem with my mask for the first few dives .. i remember i was wearing it very tight on my head ... it used to leave a trail on my forehead.

nowadays i wear is as loose as possible - i can easily take it off with a hand (actually i think most devers wear them as loose as possible).

hope this helps

As said many times here before, you're just going to have to try on numerous masks to find the right fit. One thing I always found helpful in doing that was to close my eyes and move the mask around and just FEEL the fit. If your eyes are open your looking at something.

Many times I've seen someone try on a mask that seemingly fit only to notice things like the interference against the nose when they concentrated their senses just on feel.

Keep trying because the right mask you'll always love - the wrong one you'll always hate.

Dennis

I had the same problem with my first mask, a ScubaPro Fino. The black silicone on that mask was very soft. It was very comfortable, but at even shallow depths, it would compress to the point where the frame would contact my face and cause discomfort. I switched to a ScubaPro ClearVu, with clear silicone skirt, and it is much better. The silicone is more firm, and does not allow the mask frame to compress against my face. It also does not leak, which the softer Fino mask did horribly. Don't know if the softness of the silicone skirt is causing your problem, but you might try one with a firmer silicone.

The Tyke is a g ood mask but it is a small mask and it has a tendency to do just want it did to you. Try the Hawaii 2,3 or 4. If you have a big head like I do Agualung has an older square frame mask that is like a windshield. I love that one. Just like everyone else has said just try on mask until you find one that fits you. GOod luck, clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom