Mask de-fog question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morg_NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
:bravo: HEY THERE FOLKS,

Whats the best way of stopping your mask fogging up?, I'm used to the "ol spit" method but I've heard that toothpaste and even baby oil work.

What new or different ways have you heard of ?:eyebrow:

Morg_NZ:
:bravo: HEY THERE FOLKS,

Whats the best way of stopping your mask fogging up?, I'm used to the "ol spit" method but I've heard that toothpaste and even baby oil work.

What new or different ways have you heard of ?:eyebrow:

If you go into SEARCH with "mask fog" or "mask fogging" you will find a lot of threads with varied suggestions.

I think the only one that is still under heated discussion is when you forget to treat your mask at the surface and then decide to lick the inside at 30m.
Some swear it gives good results as long as you can convince your buddy you're not narced. :wink:

I was told to use toothpaste in the new mask to remove the film on the lenses, then after that we just use the normal defog drops that you just rub on the lens and dip in the water. They have been working great. I used them in both extreamly cold and extreamly warm water and no problems to date. If you want any more info, just let me know. I will be gald to offer my humble and limited experience. :)

Tooth paste is not for defog but is used for cleaning the mask, it's a mild abrasive.
It's not baby oil that's used for defog but baby shampoo, which is what I use. Several years ago there was a discussion on this board and most of those that used something other than spit used baby shampoo. Some cut it 50/50 with water, some use it straight, which is the way I use it. It's cheap, works good and does not burn your eyes.

I use baby shampoo and water in a 50-50 mix. Works great and it's a lot cheaper than the drops at the dive shop. Once the mask is cleaned properly with toothpaste you should only have to defog once before every dive.

Scott

One big ole wad o' spit always seems to work just fine...Doesn't cost a penny and you can't forget it on the dock.

The only reason I don't use plain old spit is to set an example for our students, I don't want them spitting in the rental masks. When they aren't around I just spit in mine.

Scott

Spit is the most important scuba fluid (ha ha)! I have tried the antifog drops and baby shampoo and they did not work as well as spit. I also use spit to help seal my mask over my mustache.

--Matt

The toothpaste cleaning may need repeating from time to time. I've usually been told you only need to do that on new masks. But I've found that after a while (a long while) my mask starts to develop fogging problems again no matter what I use as de-fog. When that happens I just give it another toothpaste scrub and the fogging problems go away.

As for anti-fog, I've used spit; Sea Drops liquid; Sea Gold gel; 200 PSI drops; and Naupaka Leaf juice. As long as the mask is clean they all work well. I usually don't buy anti-fog stuff and just use spit. But I've managed to get quite a few bottles of the "artificial spit" through "by this and get a free bottle of ___" type deals. So as long as I have them, I figure I might as well use them.

The only anti-fog I actually did buy was: "Absolutely Clear; the World's Best No-Fog! The first all day no fog.™ Guaranteed To Work!" And that is also the only anti-fog that didn't work for me. I've heard good things about it, but I had no luck with it. :frown:

Aloha, iG

I just did 17 dives in and around Maui and never fogged once. Here is what I did.

Before the trip I used "Sea Buff" just once.

The night before each dive I put on some "Sea Drops"

RIGHT before each dive I would splash water on my face rince the "Sea Drops" off my mask and put it on ONCE.

****No matter what you use (even spit) DO NOT TAKE THE MASK OFF AGAIN BEFORE THE DIVE!****

For my second and third dives each day I put another little drop on each lense right after the previous dive let it set then repeated the above routine.

No Fog!

I use a Mythos Mask by the way (if it matters)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom