mask clears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mels_2

Reaction score
my instructor told me there are 5 ways to clear a mask but only showed us 2, 1 of which i can't do would be helpfyl to know otherways. the first way he taught us was palm against mask at forehead, gently puch down (so not to pull mask against nose), tilt head back and blow out through nose. i have no problem doing this 1. the other way was the no hands method tilt head back and blow i know it sounds easy but i think i need to be doing something else with my hands and start to freak out. any other ways i can try?

Mels_2, I moved your thread here from the Intro's forum so that it might be seen by more divers able to help you (or in a similar situation to yours.)

There are any number of techniques for clearing your mask, most of the variations have to do with personal style or with the type of mask or regulator you are usingl. They all have one thing in common, however: you need to situate your mask so that water can escape but not air (press down on the top, lift up on the bottom, etc.) and exhale into the mask, through your nose unless you are using a full face mask.

Search the board, you share your problem with many new divers and there are lots and lots of threads that discuss possible solutions. Good luck, with practice and patience you will resolve this issue!

We were taught ages ago there were 3 ways. Of those i can only remember 2 :)

Of those 2 i find one far more effective than the other :)

The finger tips pressing the top of the mask i find doesnt work if the mask strap is tight. My own personal method is to start blowing out then rotate head back and lift the bottom of the mask while keeping blowing. Then when its empty keep blowing and replace the bottom of the mask. They key is to start blowing before seal is broken and continue until just after its replaced.

Its a very personal thing though - different things work for different people so trying a few methods is a good idea.

String:
We were taught ages ago there were 3 ways. Of those i can only remember 2 :)

We were taught three ways as well..

1. hold the top with the palm of the hand, tilt and blow. 2. Grab the sides and crack the bottom seal, tilt and blow.

The third was "go to the surface and do it". Of course, the instructor was kidding on the third.

I'd bet two of the other five were variations on the above and perhaps the 5th would've been showing how to clear a mask with a purge valve.

Think about it now im fairly sure it involved (i) fingers on bridge of nose top of mask and (ii) fingers above each eye piece on top of mask. I was classing those as the same.

As for your third reason, worryingly on holidays i have seen people use this method, one from about 15m !

Mine said "take it off, shake it out and put it back quickly before the water gets back in." but he may have been kidding. :D

Seriously, some people have difficulty starting the process as they tend to take in a little water at the end of each nasal blow. They have no problem when the mask only has a little water.
In this case I have seen divers raise the bottom lip of the mask and purge their regulator below the opening. When most of the water is out they complete the clearing in the conventional manner.

5 ways? I use string's way and love it. I had more troubles with clearing and really hated doing it until I started breaking the seal at the bottom. Wearing a different mask can make a world of difference. I switched not to long ago and don't mind clearing at all now.

Don Burke:
I recall seeing a sideways method described. I have never tried it.
Ancient history - back in the days before single hose regulators. It was assumed that, if you had water in your mask, you probably had water in your regulator so the head was tilted sideways to allow the exhaust hose to drain while you purged the mask. Basically it worked the same way: press down on the uphill side of the mask and gently blow the water out the downhill side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom