Mask Clearing - Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the exact problem you are having, are you breathing through your nose after you blow through it ?

If you do, this is what I did to solve it. I would instinctively breath through were I exhaled therefore if I exhaled through my nose I would want to breath through my nose.

The way I got around it is now when I clear the mask I exhale through my nose into the mask then towards the end of my breath I switch and exhale the rest through my mouth which causes me to take the next breath through my mouth and not my nose.

Good luck and don't give up.

I did it. I got certified and I'm comfortable with my mask clearing skills now. I tried the different ways suggested in the thread and also bought a mask with purge valve and everythig works for me.
Thanks again

iflexsol:
I did it. I got certified and I'm comfortable with my mask clearing skills now. I tried the different ways suggested in the thread and also bought a mask with purge valve and everythig works for me.
Thanks again

Yeeehaw. :jump: Good for you. Now let's go diving. :scubadive

Congrats on your determination to stick with it. Most things with scuba will come along as you practice and work at it. You'll be suprise how much easer the skills will be to perform as you get more dive under your belt and will start to become second nature.

Not a weakness, just one skill you have not mastered yet. Like bouyancy, takes practice.

iflexsol:
Thanks a million for all your replies. You guys are of great help to me and many others like me. Can't tell you how much effect your words will have on a new diver and how encouraging they are to fight against one's weakness.
THANKS AGAIN YOU ALL.

I can't express in words how bad I felt the day I wasn't certified because I couldn't clear my mask. I"M NOT GIVING UP AND I"LL FIGHT TILL I GET IT RIGHT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom