Mask clearing - struggling with the last few drops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

softballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For whatever reason I am having trouble clearing the last 1/8th inch of water out of my mask. It's a larger mask (Tilos Titanica) and I have no problem with water leaking in usually.

Are there any tricks to getting that last bit of water out?

Besides just ignoring it?

That is an option that many of us use. :wink:

Besides just ignoring it?

That is an option that many of us use. :wink:

I feel like I am doing something wrong because my instructor (of course) can clear it completely.

But I guess this is a pretty common problem then?

Have you tried (while looking up) tipping your head back a little further when exhaling through you nose?

Do you have a mustache or stubble? Maybe just try a different mask and see if you have problems with that one too?

It may be a few degrees of tilt. The mask skirt may be clear but water might hide in front of the lens and flow down once you're done. Go diving and have a buddy observe. I'd agree with ignoring it while you perfect the skill as you dive.

From time to time as you change hoods and other gear you may find your mask a little leakier one day than another. Learning to be a little tolerant isn't a bad thing.

Pete

I feel like I am doing something wrong because my instructor (of course) can clear it completely.

But I guess this is a pretty common problem then?

I would ask the instructor how he/she is completely clearing it......but in reality, if it doesn't(physically) bother you, I would not worry about it.....

I find clearing a mask pretty easy. If you secure the top, tilt your head back and blow it clears for me. I would practice in a pool clearing it many times. You'll get the hang of it. If you have a high volume mask it will take more air to clear it. A low volume mask is much easier to clear. A frameless mask is low volume. I use a Tilos Frameless mask that has great visibility and is extremely easy to clear.

The key is to reposition your mask while you are still blowing so that it's sealed before you stop blowing...and tilting your head back of course.

dont lift the bottom of the mask- i find with many student that if they lift the bottom of the mask away from their face and then exhale out of their noses, then they still allow a little water to sneak back in the bottom seal. instead, i recommend to just apply pressure to the top of the mask, look up and exhale. i like to press to fingers to each outter corner on the upper frame of the mask...

good luck and happy diving

dont lift the bottom of the mask- i find with many student that if they lift the bottom of the mask away from their face and then exhale out of their noses, then they still allow a little water to sneak back in the bottom seal. instead, i recommend to just apply pressure to the top of the mask, look up and exhale. i like to press to fingers to each outter corner on the upper frame of the mask...

good luck and happy diving

Thanks will try it next week in the pool

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom