Mask choice X-Vision or Shadow ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

X-Vision looking the favourite then, anybody tried the "X-Vision Liquid Skin" touted on MARES web site as improved version.

scubazach:
While it may be a good mask and allow you to a great deal, the strap is a weakness in the design. If I am not mistaken, it is attached to the skirt. Should the strap break, or pull out, it entails a specialty repair. This limits you if you are out on a boat and you need to replace the strap.

Just my 2cents.

So you dive with this mask, and have issues? It's always amazing to me that people complain about products they don't own.

Hey, I don't own one if these, but here are the problems I expect to have If I did! :D

The strap holders do not attach to the skirt. They attach to a rubber tab that is part of the skirt, and extends from it. At this place on the mast the rubber is at least twice as thick as the rest of the skirt. If you pull on the strap, the entire thing has some give, so in fact I think it reduces fatigue on the strap, and the attachment points. If the strap stars to tear off the skirt, it's likely the tab that will be tearing, not the skirt, and realistically I don't see either of those things happening. Face it, masks are made of plastic, rubber, and maybe glass. What is the breakable part? Not the rubber.... at least if one takes care of it, and it's not 50 years old.

In any event, I carry two masks. I consider them critical dive gear, and they are small enough, and cheap enough to have a backup.

As with all masks fit is foremost before design and function. I think both the Xvision and Shadow are good masks. Not familiar with the aqualung.

Having said that the XVision has been a tremendously successful product for us. We've sold literally thousands. Just a note on the buckle. It is definitely not a weakness and as our friend from RI said, the strap is separate and easily replaceable. Infact the buckle is replaceable as well. In the last 5 or so years of selling the Xvision, xvision mid, and purevision (all use the same buckle) I've had 1 come back. It didn't break but somehow the customer managed to get the little black retaining ring off the buckle assembly. This is no easy trick, if you've tried you'll know. At the end of the day our product is backed by warranty and we will always take care of any warranty issues.

Next month we will be launching our new mask X-Vision liquid skin. This is a new co-molded silicone skirt. 270% more elastic than traditional high quality silicone. This will create a more comfortable mask, easier to clear, and will fit almost anyone. It is an amazing new technology. You may want to wait before you make any decisions to check it out!http://mares.com/product_detail.php?id=258&region=USA

Happy mask hunting,

I have found the Mares X Vision a good mask. I like the traditional attachment of the strap to the skirt rather than all the turbocharged frame designs. It is simple and clean. Of course, in the end, the round mask is superior in all ways as was noted by the OP. The Mares looks goofy but it sorta works OK and sits jauntily on my forehead, not all do.

DSCF0103.jpg

N
NAVED 111

To the OP: I own both the X-Vision(s) and the Shadow and i generally prefer the former but i would not hesitate to buy either of the two if one fit better than the other. I have both the X-Vision and the X-Vision Mid and the Mid fits me better; maybe something to consider.

You said: "On dry land the fit and seal seems great - just not 30m down with a reg in your mouth." This makes it sound as if trying it "on dry land" does not involve a mouthpiece, i find it very important to do the seal test with a mouthpiece in mouth.

A question for Zak: Is there going to be a Mid version of the Liquidskin?

Currently we are introducing this product in the regular xvision. Note the skirt on this mask is not the same size. It is somewhere in the middle of the Xvision and the mid. It is so pliable I really think it's going to get almost everyone. In addition next year we will have a wide aray of colors.

Nemrod:
I have found the Mares X Vision a good mask. I like the traditional attachment of the strap to the skirt rather than all the turbocharged frame designs. It is simple and clean. Of course, in the end, the round mask is superior in all ways as was noted by the OP. The Mares looks goofy but it sorta works OK and sits jauntily on my forehead, not all do.

DSCF0103.jpg

N
NAVED 111

Truly he MUST love the round mask, look at all that STUFF hanging round his neck! I'm surprised he is not wearing a bell on his head! :D

Seriously do you really like a round mask and if so why?

theatis:
To the OP: I own both the X-Vision(s) and the Shadow and i generally prefer the former but i would not hesitate to buy either of the two if one fit better than the other. I have both the X-Vision and the X-Vision Mid and the Mid fits me better; maybe something to consider.

You said: "On dry land the fit and seal seems great - just not 30m down with a reg in your mouth." This makes it sound as if trying it "on dry land" does not involve a mouthpiece, i find it very important to do the seal test with a mouthpiece in mouth.

That is a good point - and not something I had done before.
Maybe I will try this with X-Vision liquid skin when it comes out.

Zak ... assume that X-Vision liquid skin will be out for sale soon - will it be available in all Black ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom