Mask choice X-Vision or Shadow ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My first real mask was what would now be seen in museum alongside the twin hose Sibe Gorman regulator I started with.
This was a rubber mask with large oval face .. and a rubber 'flap' purge valve on the face ... superb, just a pity after 20 years the rubber perished.

I bought a silcone mask and that lasted less than half that time - but it performed well.
I recently looked around, fancied one of the newer shape masks and bought a TUSA Visulator ... on a trip to RED Sea in Oct., it continually leaked on every dive.
Tried tightening & loosening the strap, and placing strap higher or lower - still leaked ... needs clearing every 5 mins or so ... seemed to be the lowest point where mask rests just under right cheek bone.

On dry land the fit and seal seems great - just not 30m down with a reg in your mouth.

Supplier will give me 50% trade-in, and looking around my choice seems to be between
MARES X-Vision or OCEANIC Shadow ....... with a possible 3rd of the Aqualung Maui

Anybody tried these against each other ?

Bought a Mares X vision after my old mares mask finally died after about 18 years. Easy to clear and great downwards vision as I putmy pressure guage on my shoulder strap. Just a slight tilt down and I can see how much air I have left.

Cant comment on the other two. I will say that if I were to do it over again, I would not go with a clear mask skirt. I end up with glare problems in shallow water on sunny days. Wish I had thought about that before I put down the $$.

Tafflad:
looking around my choice seems to be between
MARES X-Vision or OCEANIC Shadow

Anybody tried these against each other ?
I use both! X-Vision on face and Shadow in pocket for spare. I could probably switch that if needed. They both fit extremely well for me. That is what you need to determine.. the fit.

I dive with the XVision, black skirt, and love it.. mostly. Any mask can leak on a bad day especially with a stache!

If the Xvision fits, its one of the lowest volume, highest vision masks out there. I have two! The new Atomic masks look interesting, but wow, they want a lot for those things.

no experience with the x-vison, but had a Pure vision. LEAKS. 2 other divers I know have the pure vision. Leaks. I like the Shadow, use it as a spare. My favorite mask is a saekodive (taiwanese) copy of the shadow. WONDERFUL, and cheap....

goodeatsfan:
no experience with the x-vison, but had a Pure vision. LEAKS. 2 other divers I know have the pure vision. Leaks. I like the Shadow, use it as a spare. My favorite mask is a saekodive (taiwanese) copy of the shadow. WONDERFUL, and cheap....

Well, I'm not sure you can condemn a mask that does not fit your face. Sounds like user error to me, in the purchase. RU suggesting that this mask leaks because it is somehow unable to fit any face on the planet? :confused:

A good mask is one that fits. That is always the first rule in choosing a mask.

While it may be a good mask and allow you to a great deal, the strap is a weakness in the design. If I am not mistaken, it is attached to the skirt. Should the strap break, or pull out, it entails a specialty repair. This limits you if you are out on a boat and you need to replace the strap.

Just my 2cents.

scubazach:
While it may be a good mask and allow you to a great deal, the strap is a weakness in the design. If I am not mistaken, it is attached to the skirt. Should the strap break, or pull out, it entails a specialty repair. This limits you if you are out on a boat and you need to replace the strap.

Just my 2cents.

Nope, only the buckle is on the skirt. The strap is easily replaceable. The strap itself is a separate piece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom