Mask? Check! Regs? Check! Gas on? Check! Fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not especially aimed at you, Dumpster Diver, you're a long way from being the most aggressive poster at the moment, but seriously, what's up with Scubaboard? Pretty much every thread is descending into people making snarky comments and taking cheap shots at each other.

Diver forgets fins. Nobody gets hurt, unless they've got an oversized ego. Liveaboard crew make entertaining certificate. Everyone has a couple of beers and a laugh.

Isn't that the point of holiday diving? Or is even jumping in for an easy swim around with the fishies a cause for chest-thumping and bull**** now?

With the level of political correctness which is maintained within the Basic Scuba section, I am surprised that other people would not think that this sets a poor example and that a very experienced diver would not be displaying (with pride) his award.

Personally, I have no problem with it. I know people are idiots, I've seen about every diving mistake you can make and I've done many of them myself. I've forgotten many different pieces of gear, but in all honesty, it could be a serious problem for a beginner diver. More importantly, it is a good example of a diving accident which is caused by complacency. We need constant reminders that complacency can spiral into a real problem.

I have no problem with laughing at foolish behaviors, but there should be some acknowledgement that it was not really safe. What if the diver had no ditchable lead and also forgot to turn on his air. What if he just wore some integrated weights and a steel backplate and a dry suit that was very hard to swim in?

With the level of political correctness which is maintained within the Basic Scuba section, I am surprised that other people would not think that this sets a poor example and that a very experienced diver would not be displaying (with pride) his award.

Oh, please...

By "setting an example" are you suggesting that some noob will read this thread and conclude that it's a great idea to jump in overweighted, with no gas on, sans fins, maybe without a BCD? Solo, perhaps?

Frankly, this post was put up with more humility than pride... allowing the world to have a laugh at my expense. If you can't see that, and are worried about the impact that this thread will have on the mortality rate of new scuba divers... well, you must be a barrel of fun at parties.

image90.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously.

Personally, I have no problem with it. I know people are idiots, I've seen about every diving mistake you can make and I've done many of them myself. I've forgotten many different pieces of gear, but in all honesty, it could be a serious problem for a beginner diver. More importantly, it is a good example of a diving accident which is caused by complacency. We need constant reminders that complacency can spiral into a real problem.

I have no problem with laughing at foolish behaviors, but there should be some acknowledgement that it was not really safe. What if the diver had no ditchable lead and also forgot to turn on his air. What if he just wore some integrated weights and a steel backplate and a dry suit that was very hard to swim in?

You're right, it is potentially dangerous, but one might argue that a very experienced diver posting about forgetting to put fins on should serve as one of those 'reminders that complacency can spiral into a real problem'...

I'd suggest that any diver who's about to shuffle off a boat in kit s/he can't swim in, wearing a colossal amount of weight and without having checked their air is on, probably has bigger problems with their approach to their own safety than whether or not another diver laughed about making a mistake...

Bruce Willis Relinquishes All Fins
Big White Rabbits Are Finless
Bangkok Women Really Abhor Fins

Actually, I add an "I" for instruments. People who wear watches, computers, compasses, etc. on the wrist frequently forget them. If they have nitrox, they may not have set the computer properly.

So the Mnemonic I use is BWRAIF: Bruce Willis Ruins Another Independent Film.

last boat dive I did a fellow diver failed to fold in his long legs on the roll out and got his fins caught under the racks, was quite funny seeing him bent backwards over the pontoon of the boat, had a quick laugh before going to help.

This thread is funny on several different levels.
But seriously.. disrespecting Brussel sprouts? Choux de Bruxelles deserve better :no:

Reactions: RJP
I did the same at Catalina Dive Park. Jumped in and went " why am I not going anywhere with my kicks?
I also jumped in once forgetting to put my regulator in my mouth.
I guess I'm just excited to get in the water!

I've jumped in without my reg in my mouth and realized it mid giant stride.

I was diving with a rather impatient buddy once. He got tired of waiting for me to gear up fast enough and said he would meet me at the anchor line. I rushed to get in the water, forgetting my weightbelt. I told him I had to get back on the boat for it and he just sighed. I climbed back aboard, put on my weightbelt and rolled in...without my fins.

Lol. Both the thread and the wildlife.

Seriously, though, in my grand total of less than 10 OW dives I did learn one thing. If I did not put on my fins BEFORE the bcd, I couldn't reach down to my feet once I was strapped in since the tanks were all in holder-dealie-bobbers and usually required some help to stand up with when I was all ready. The DMs seemed to not want us lifting up the bcd/tanks until we were ready to walk directly to the back of the boat for our giant strides.

Do you guys put them on last, or just check them last?

Back
Top Bottom