Mask? Check! Regs? Check! Gas on? Check! Fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My best move was in Truk Lagoon getting down to the deck of the San Francisco Maru - at 165fsw - and realizing that both of my computers were attached to my manifold.

During the second to last dive of my CCR mod 1 class, I jumped into the water, got flat, and started dropping. Looked left at the controller (ok), then the hud/dream (ok), and then looked right... very shocked to see no Petrel on my arm. Blasted thing was still buckled onto my loop hose. Guess I need to add it to my checklist :D

I don't think I've ever jumped without my fins, but I do sometimes just grab them, jump in, and worry about pulling them on while I'm dropping.

This is not especially aimed at you, Dumpster Diver, you're a long way from being the most aggressive poster at the moment, but seriously, what's up with Scubaboard? Pretty much every thread is descending into people making snarky comments and taking cheap shots at each other.

Diver forgets fins. Nobody gets hurt, unless they've got an oversized ego. Liveaboard crew make entertaining certificate. Everyone has a couple of beers and a laugh.

Isn't that the point of holiday diving? Or is even jumping in for an easy swim around with the fishies a cause for chest-thumping and bull**** now?
I attribute it to being February and too long of a Surface Interval for most of us.

With the level of political correctness which is maintained within the Basic Scuba section, I am surprised that other people would not think that this sets a poor example and that a very experienced diver would not be displaying (with pride) his award.

Personally, I have no problem with it. I know people are idiots, I've seen about every diving mistake you can make and I've done many of them myself. I've forgotten many different pieces of gear, but in all honesty, it could be a serious problem for a beginner diver. More importantly, it is a good example of a diving accident which is caused by complacency. We need constant reminders that complacency can spiral into a real problem.

I have no problem with laughing at foolish behaviors, but there should be some acknowledgement that it was not really safe. What if the diver had no ditchable lead and also forgot to turn on his air. What if he just wore some integrated weights and a steel backplate and a dry suit that was very hard to swim in?
It's more like even experiences divers can make mistakes. It takes a unique individual to put themselves out on the internet for humor and criticism. The award is more like a Razzie and meant in good humor but also a reminder the diver did something stupid.

I just returned from a dive trip where I completed 25 dives and now have 50. Something I learned on this trip was to put my fins on first before the BCD. It just makes life easier. I also learned to loosen the straps on the BCD before putting it on instead of struggling to get into it. These little things just reduce stress.

A couple of times on this trip I asked my insta buddy if his air was on as he was getting ready to jump in and it wasn't.

Every where I went- Cozumel, Belize, Roatan--it was kind of an absurd routine that as soon as the boat got to the dive site there was an urgent mad rush to get suited up and jump (roll) into the water. I don't know why people didn't spend 1 minute to stop--do equipment checks--and then jump in.

Lol. Both the thread and the wildlife.

Seriously, though, in my grand total of less than 10 OW dives I did learn one thing. If I did not put on my fins BEFORE the bcd, I couldn't reach down to my feet once I was strapped in since the tanks were all in holder-dealie-bobbers and usually required some help to stand up with when I was all ready. The DMs seemed to not want us lifting up the bcd/tanks until we were ready to walk directly to the back of the boat for our giant strides.

Do you guys put them on last, or just check them last?

violamomma, I do try to put my fins on first though that isn't always appropriate on every dive boat. More importantly, what I've learned is to have one buckle of each open and the fins close by, so that I can get them onto my feet without actually bending over, then do the leg across knee thing and snap the buckle shut. Don't know if this explanation helps you much as a new diver. :)

As to the thread, I think it's too darn cold in most of North America and people are getting pretty darn grumpy whether they've recently been diving or not. I also think that some people take the opportunity to poke back when they percieve that opportunity as arisen. As to the OP post, I think that's an amusing good spirited way to remind people that even the experienced diver can screw up.

I do my very best to ensure my air is on before rolling/striding and my check is always done the same way. The only time I've rolled without checking my air . . .sure enough, it wasn't on. The other day, I forgot to incorporate my usual check and did it hurriedly at the last minute. Wha?? no air, so jumped up to check . . .hey, even worse, regs not attached to tank. "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get."

I've rolled once without weights, I've rolled once without fins, I've rolled with my snorkel in my mouth rather than my reg . . . which was a very long time ago, as that is a potential failure point that was remedied by not diving with a snorkel on my mask. :)

Weights are integrated now and so never have to worry about forgetting weightbelt, but I found on the liveaboard that getting switched from tender to tender could cause problems like pouches not being there. Doh!

Fins . . . what to do, will probably roll again someday without them. It's always nice if someone mentions it before you go over.

had a friend one time hit the bottom at ~ 80 ft then finally get his 2nd stage in his mouth :/ lol

Not zipping up your dry suit probably is the most crazy thing to me :confused:

Last week I forgot my first piece of gear. Swam out to the descend point. A diver in our group lost his mask in the water so he returned to shore. I checked my dive computer for the time, and lo and behold its not there! First time :\

I wish I were perfect & never forgot anything on a dive. One day maybe....

I forgot my wing on one trip... made for some fantastic diving. Much less cumbersome than wearing it, especially since we were doing shallow dives and I don't actually use the BC until I hit about 60 feet.

Back
Top Bottom