Mask, 1 window vs 2 vs 4 vs 6?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Like to buy a mask.

Started by trying to choose between a 1 window (Tusa Visulator Mask) or 2 windows (Cressi Big Eyes, Aqualung Mythos, Mares X-vision, XS Scuba Fusion 2) would be better.

But then found there are those with extra side windows (XS Scuba Fusion 3), and even some with side and bottom windows (Sherwood Magnum 6). The idea of side windows sound good, because it allows you to see if something is moving at the side even if it's blurry. So I am beginning to look seriously at the Sherwood Magnum 6, or even the Sherwood Magnum EX Panoramic which also seem to have peripheral windows to the one main window.

No, not considering the Hydrooptix. Too much trouble with having to wear contacts for that.

Have read the reviews in scubadiving.com But you guys are the real pros with reall life experiences. What are your opinions, comparing those with 1 window, 2 windows, and with side windows?

Ditto on fit. One thing to keep in mind though, low volume is good, some of the masks with all the windows are higher volume and might be more of a nuisance to clear. I'm not sure you don't have about as good a view through 1-2 lenses closer to your face than through something that looks like a bay window.

Over the years I had many masks and all I can say is keep it simple. 1 or 2 windows is all you need. the above mentions on the fit and low volume are some of the most important feature of a mask, More window only means more change of breaking one, more change of leakage etc etc.

I agree with what everyone else here has said.

I dive a Genesis Panview mask, it has 2 side windows that are absolutely useless, and sometimes, distracting... I've learned to ignore them.

I chose the mask because it fit my face the best, and was the most comfortable.

So, to repeat what someone else said...

1 - Fit
2 - Fit
3 - Fit

I will add ONE note however. If you wear glasses, you might want to consider getting a mask with no side windows (1 pane per eye). It is easier to get prescription / readers put into them. Consult with your LDS if this is an issue that pertains to you.

:crafty:

fit is of outmost importance (u-huh)

but i would recommend a low-volume mask (easier to clear) with no side
windows of any sort. whether you have one or two panes up front doesn't
matter much... it's personal preference. i prefer two separate ones.

I ride along with low-volume masks.

I have an Oceanic Shadow. The fact that it's low volume (framless) also allow the window to be closer to our faces-provides better visibility.

Ciao,

I use the Cressi Matrix and love it. Single window, low volume.

I have a 4 window mask and it is now retired to back up status. The 4 and 6 window masks are a joke and really don't offer that much help. In my OW class I had a woman ask me about my mask and I let her use it, she simply hated it and stayed with her 2 window. Now I know why!

Fit and Personal preferece. I like black mask skirts with no side windows. I know other people that love high volume masks with side windows. There is no right or wrong. If it fits and you like it then that is the mask for you. I personally don't like the side windows because I find them distracting. They don't give you a bigger view they just let in more light.

Scott

I like the low volume mask with teardrop shaped lense. I find the shape helps a lot with providing more vision toward my lower body. It's easy to look down at something you're working on.

I also think the low volume gives me more peripheral vision because my eyes are closer to the front of the mask and not blocked by the mask sides.

I also like clear skirts because I feel a little less confined in looking around. Even though you can't actually look clearly through the side, you can see a lot more movement peripherally. The black skirts cut out that vision.

Oh yeah, when fitting your mask, make sure it does not hit the bridge of your nose. Though I'd like to think my nose is average size, I had some problems finding a fitting mask which did not touch the bridge of my nose. At no depth, there is little problem but after a while at depth, the mask pushing on your nose gets sore, even with equalizing the mask properly. Your mask doesn't need to be strapped on overly tight either. Just put it on with a firm snug fit but not torqued down.

Torontonian:
Like to buy a mask.

Started by trying to choose between a 1 window (Tusa Visulator Mask) or 2 windows (Cressi Big Eyes, Aqualung Mythos, Mares X-vision, XS Scuba Fusion 2) would be better.

But then found there are those with extra side windows (XS Scuba Fusion 3), and even some with side and bottom windows (Sherwood Magnum 6). The idea of side windows sound good, because it allows you to see if something is moving at the side even if it's blurry. So I am beginning to look seriously at the Sherwood Magnum 6, or even the Sherwood Magnum EX Panoramic which also seem to have peripheral windows to the one main window.

No, not considering the Hydrooptix. Too much trouble with having to wear contacts for that.

Have read the reviews in scubadiving.com But you guys are the real pros with reall life experiences. What are your opinions, comparing those with 1 window, 2 windows, and with side windows?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom