Martial Law per CNN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was getting ready to wire my fund for my IDC internship later this week, maybe it's time to look to do my IDC in the USA...

Hey, sorry to hear about all the stuff going on in Thailand and hope everyone is ok..As for those trying to reschedule their IDC´s check out www.neptunesdiving.com they will credit some of the costs you may have paid in thailand. Be safe

the last i heard, it's a coup-de-etat, adn the military have ousted the PM

Just for everyone's info:

Thailand has had 17 Coup-de-etat's since 1938, the last one being 92.

From what I understand, the military guys waited until the PM was out of the country precisely because they didn't exactly want a loud, bloody coup. It was just clear that the PM was more corrupt than usual, and it was time for him to go.

Anyone living in Thailand there to comment? I understand that in the last one, the military took over, then after a bit the thai king (who is apparently very well liked) said "I'm not supporting this, this is garbage" and the military said "oh, ok" and went away. Thai Coups tend to be less bloody than ones in the other parts of the world.

Then again, thats easy to say from the US. anyone on the ground there with an opinion?

I certainly wouldn't change any plans yet. It's not completely clear yet what's happening but it LOOKS like the army has simply supported the people to remove the PM. I should imagine he will face corruption charges if he tries to go back.
There is no indication that the military intends to hold on to power according to statements being made.
I can't imagine there will be much effect on tourists.

Kim:
it LOOKS like the army has simply supported the people to remove the PM.
My understanding is that he was elected in a landslide victory and was expected to win any new election.

A report earlier this afternoon implied that the General who assumed the duties of the absent PM was an associate of the King or was in some manner familiar with the King. One would think that the King was at least informed, if not providing tacit approval. The King AFAIK is relatively popular there, and I don't know whether a coup would occur if he were directly against it.

FWIW.

A couple of things to remember.
1) It's about 7am over there so normal folk are still asleep.
2) As I understand, CNN and BBC TV have been blocked so the info will take a while to work it's way thru the crowd, at least the foreign population.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom