Suggestion Marketplace - too many "unknowns"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
yukoneer

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the marketplace section - i have noticed that there are many many people that just post stuff for sale and never post anything else.

I was thinking of suggesting that scubaboard implements a policy that only members with more than 20 posts (or any given number) may post a classified advertisement for sale.

This policy works very, very well at another forum (www.fullsizechevy.com) which had suffered the same problems of people just posting stuff and never coming back to it.

It's nice if people hang around, but if someone posts something for sale, and maybe someone finds something they need that way, what does it hurt?

"Post & run" aren't that big of a problem, though I'd be much more inclined to make a high dollar buy from someone who has been around on the board for a while.

The ebay links are a little annoying, I'd expect folks to have at least a "buy it now" feature.
I post stuff for sale here before it goes to ebay.

NetDoc:
Watch for a BRAND NEW Classifieds section coming to a ScubBoard near you! I think you will like it!

Maybe I'll learn to like it later but not now.

I think you should have brought the new clasified section in and run it in parallel with the old one. All the old adds got lost and now I can't find someone...

Also scubabord clasified is not such high volume that it needs 10 catagories. I'd say
combine som eof them (or divide some) untill the average number of new postings is reasonable. It makes it hard for a reader to browse when he has to look in 10 places

Can you at least restore the old listings?

Chris, there were close to 5,000 posts on the old system, that means I would have to fill out 5,000 forms 5,000 times (there is no way to import from the old system to the new one because of the huge differances in the field mapping). I agree that we may need to condense the categories at the present time and I will get right on that.

yukoneer:
In the marketplace section - i have noticed that there are many many people that just post stuff for sale and never post anything else.

I was thinking of suggesting that scubaboard implements a policy that only members with more than 20 posts (or any given number) may post a classified advertisement for sale.

This policy works very, very well at another forum (www.fullsizechevy.com) which had suffered the same problems of people just posting stuff and never coming back to it.
the rules are made already and dont you dear try to change them.Peace lol

We actually use to have a policy where people needed to have X posts before entering the marketplace, the problem was that people would spam the board or make posts that litterally said "one", "two" ,"three" just to get in to the marketplace. Given the new system it is likely we will have a fair number of users here to use the marketplace and the marketplace only; of course I would expect other users to look at their post count before buying anything so there should be a negative impact if they aren't participating in the community.

Back
Top Bottom