Marketing: Are we ok, or do we need help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on what I've learned about marketing in the last couple of years, I think Julie's post above is spot-on.

Consumers won’t believe you if you simply tell them you’re great. Pick a platform and demonstrate your expertise.
Better yet, don't tell them you're great, because that can sound arrogant and narcissistic. And don't tell them your competition sucks, because that makes it sound like you don't have anything to offer other than making the other guy look bad.

Just be great and make sure they can see that. The rest will follow.

These days, with the resources available on the Internet, buyers want to learn and research every purchase. Many times a consumer arrives at a store knowing more than the fella behind the counter.

Companies should be the resource of information.

One major advantage of large online providers, including super stores like Amazon and Buy.com, is the customer review base. When I go to LeisurePro's site, or Amazon for that matter, I can not only research products by vendor description (which makes everything out to be wonderful and worthy of purchase), but view star ratings and individual reviews by people who've used the product, including some who've researched the topic and some who've used competing products. A vendor can game the system with some fake reviews, but over time, the truth tends to come out.

Another advantage impacts potential bias. If the LDS sells AquaLung, they probably want to advocate the AquaLung line. But ScubaToys and LeisurePro are large, carry a range of brands, and so likely don't care as much which brand I buy, as long as I buy it from them. Yes, higher end stronger brand name products give better margins, but at least they get a sale. On the other hand, if the LDS carries AquaLung and somebody sold me on the Atomic Aquatics B2, the LDS does not.

Some LDS's try to get instructors to use gear they carry and thus market by modelling to new students. But that's marketing to the ignorant and gullible, not the informed.

Following up Julie's point about a business becoming a high quality info. vendor putting out free content and enjoying indirect kickbacks via positive association and a good reputation (my words), how large a vendor does it take to do such a thing in a big way?

Is this practical for a LDS, or does it take a larger business like LeisurePro that has (or can hire) to draw on a large number of experts from a range of specialties to generate high quality content?

What content are we looking for? Gear reviews? Intro. to scuba info. targeting potential OW divers, dive trip info. targeting dive tourists, avid diver topics like improving buoyancy and air consumption, or advanced topics from works like 'The 6 Skills,' decompression diving, how to own and maintain your own compressor perhaps?

A LDS could create a novice-friendly intro. to scuba site. But for the kind of content in Advanced Diver Magazine, not likely.

Richard.

I have to admit that I've learned a lot (and am continuing to do so) from this thread. I've also enjoyed some telephone conversations with some very interesting and smart folks as a result. And, I have the suspicion that I may get to know and become a customer of a couple or three vendors. That, to me, is time (money) well spent.

However, my fear remains that talk doesn't walk. We can chat all day long but, unless someone takes an idea and actually executes something, we're just chatting. Not that I mind that but, again, in business, time is money.

One of the greatest philosophers of our time, Yoda, made some very astute observations:

"Do or do not; there is no try."

"You will find only what you bring in."

And, in a conversation with Luke Skywalker:
Luke: "I can't believe it."
Yoda: "That is why you fail."

Just something to think about while you put your first new idea to work today.

I believe there is a much larger problem for marketing to address: Retention. Unfortunately the article isn’t online yet but I believe it nails the biggest single cause of the high drop-up rate in the industry.

Diver Magazine, Volume 38 Number 8, Dive training Today. A Perspective by Bret Gilliam

This article is now available online:

Dive Training Today A Perspective | DIVER magazine

I just keeps getting better.
The analogy to skiing is a good one with regard to being considered advanced. Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers postulates that it's at 10,000 hours a person is accomplished and an expert. Doctors, Airline pilots, CPAs, Olympians, pianists etc. 10,000 hours spent practicing, learning and performing puts you at the peak. That's not to say that you're not good at 1500 hours or very good at 2500 hours in some pursuits but the peak is still far off. Let's not debate Malcolm's claims but use it as further perspective.

I have been diving since 1981, just got my ssi plat pro with 5100 dives, I am pretty sure I do not have 10,000 hours. I worked as a instructor in cayman, otherwise the number would be much lower...

Guess I have a way to go to expert.. :)

I just keeps getting better.
The analogy to skiing is a good one with regard to being considered advanced. Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers postulates that it's at 10,000 hours a person is accomplished and an expert. Doctors, Airline pilots, CPAs, Olympians, pianists etc. 10,000 hours spent practicing, learning and performing puts you at the peak. That's not to say that you're not good at 1500 hours or very good at 2500 hours in some pursuits but the peak is still far off. Let's not debate Malcolm's claims but use it as further perspective.

I have been diving since 1981, just got my ssi plat poro with 5100 dives, I am pretty sure I do not have 10,000 hours. I worked as a instructor in cayman, otherwise the number would be much lower...

Guess I have a way to go to expert.. :)

Actually, I bet you do have 10,000 hours. Factor in all the classes you've taught or taken, discussions on scubaboard or talking with others about diving related issues. It's not about just the time you spend underwater. Listen, they let pilots with 2000 hours captain regional jets, they're good pilots. Doctors with 10 operations under their belt can take your appendix out but the person that has removed 1500 is probably a little more qualified. Let's not be literal about the 10,000 thing, it's a concept. The point that introduced this was about retention and I think like all repeat businesses, retention is a key factor.

Last edited:
I have been saying for years when you produce divers that are scared, you are not producing repeat business. What we have been doing in diving would be like if flying lessons handed them a license having NEVER landed the airplane. Nobody with a brain would stay in flying. That has been what we have been doing in diving.

I have been saying for years when you produce divers that are scared, you are not producing repeat business.
He stole that from me. :D

He stole that from me. :D

No, he didn't. He got it from me. I've been saying it since I used to take OW students to the Flower Gardens... And they would sell their new gear on the way back in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom