Marketing: Are we ok, or do we need help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There it is! :)

"If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Now, in fairness to DEMA, it's more a bad link rather than a lack of Member Benefits which can be found here...

http://www.dema.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=605

However, it does appear that the majority of DEMA "member benefits" are comprised of discounts for attending DEMA shows and the ability to purchase goods and services from DEMA... since these are listed first.

Hey, it's not about being fair, it's about marketing!:wink: Seriously, that's a pretty entertaining fo-paw, if you ask me.

You are, however, correct in your summation of member benefits. I challenged them to have someone call and sell me a renewal. Two weeks later, no word.

---------- Post added January 14th, 2014 at 12:45 PM ----------

There sure is a lot of information in this thread, some of it really good. Honestly, I try not to get bogged down in the theorems and formulae of marketing because there’s just too much to do. But I get out of bed in the morning thinking about marketing. I also treat this as a business. Businesses make money, hobbies cost money. There are a lot of hobbyists in the scuba industry. By the way, I’m comfortable with that term.

Does marketing cost? Absolutely. Does it pay? Done right, yes, it does. Do businesses need a source of capital for startup and to get a solid marketing plan in place? Yep, they do. But it doesn’t have to be $275,000. It can be and it can grow to that, but you gotta start somewhere. I’m hoping to share some of what we do with everyone with the goal of helping us all bring new divers into the industry and retaining existing ones. The numbers prove that there are many, many people who want to experience scuba diving, so I have no doubt the market exists. We can prove that.

RJP noted: Seeing as households earning >$100,000 comprise roughly 15% of the US population, what we see is that 2.1% of 15% of US households are an attractive target for "the scuba industry." That's 0.31% of US households... less than one-third of one-percent.

Numbers provided to us as survey results from both of the largest certifying agencies in the world are slightly more succinct and strikingly similar. Of the people they’ve surveyed, about 30% say they’d like to try scuba diving. Less than one percent of them ever do. We see that as 29 points of opportunity. Look at it this way: if we got that number (people experiencing scuba—if we must through “Discover” or “Try” scuba) up to, say, five percent and we were to capture 20% of them and make them divers, our business would more than double (I was a journalism/pr major, not math, but that’s pretty close). Would that be good for everyone?

To explain my aversion to the single pool session try-it “courses” (not to mention the dreaded and often scary “resort” courses), scuba is a “bucket list” item for many people. If they get in a pool, don scuba gear, breathe under water for 20 minutes and then get back out of the pool, many of them have “done it.” I’d rather convince them to take an open water course, really experience diving and go from there.

But here's how some things work for us:

Before I leave for work, I put on a shirt embroidered with our company logo. I wear them all the time and people ask me about our stores when they see them. I drive to work in my truck with the oval “Ford” emblem painted as a dive flag. People comment on that.I've been known to hand people caps with our logo on them.

Yesterday morning, I walked in one of our stores at 7:45 and there were four lap swimmers in the pool, all of them divers who own gear purchased here and have traveled with us multiple times. They get in early before the “Mommy and Me” infant swim lessons start. Some days it’s Aqua Zumba as well, which is really loud but it brings people in. Pools are expensive to maintain and their surfaces always need to be disturbed. Flat water creates zero cash flow. I think about that. You don’t have a pool? This is all going to be much more difficult for you. It can be done, it’s just harder.

As I walked in the door (after parking in the far reaches of the gravel lot, not the concrete lot—that’s for customers), Ali, our travel coordinator (who also does retail sales—we all do) was behind the counter emailing information to customers. I asked her what we were going to do that day and she enthusiastically replied, “We’re sellin’ stuff!” She thinks about that. Everybody does. It’s an attitude we cultivate and reward. Part of marketing is attitude—it’s the first part.

Does all marketing/advertising cost money? No. Some of it just takes time—which is, of course, money; it’s just not cash. My experience is that pretty much everyone has some time they can utilize for marketing, even if they think they can’t afford to spend cash.

What sorts of things can you do with time? Some things we do are community outreach. We do swim safety and scuba presentations for schools, churches, civic organizations, clubs—pretty much anyone who’ll have us. And most of those folks are always looking for people to do presentations. We also participate in community events like parades and festivals (not free but pretty cheap). Health fairs, both corporate and community are other opportunities. You can also volunteer your expertise at the “consultant” level for news programs, soft-news or local happenings programs, etc. And be sure to write and send press releases about events, trips, milestones (Joe Scuba is now an Instructor Certifier for XXX agency, Jim Scuba just made his 2000th scuba dive, Jill Scuba just returned from a dive trip to Cuba, Scooba Booba presented a shark awareness program to Mrs. Brown’s third grade remedial reading class, Scooba Looba is training students in Oxford University’s marine biology to dive in preparation for their Save the World project) because, again, your local newspaper or television station may need some “fill” that day. Or they may be truly interested. Get involved in the community. We’ve hosted Top Doc’s events honoring outstanding physicians, business-to-business breakfast club meetings, water rescue team appreciation nights and a national sales meeting for one of our equipment vendors.

With time and some cash, you can promote events. We just had Alex Antonieu from Fins Attached in one of our stores to do a presentation on shark finning and the marine environment. 67 people and one television station showed up. We made the 10 o’clock news. It really didn’t cost a lot to do that and he’ll be in our second store in a few weeks to do the same thing. One of our local dive clubs is hosting their monthly meeting in one of our stores next week, using our conference room and then hopping in the pool, just for fun. We’ll provide some refreshments and, chances are, sell some things to them. What diver can go in a dive store and not find something they want or need?

Encourage your vendors to show up for a customer appreciation day. They can present new (or old) products, meet your customers—who are really their customers—and, with luck, provide a raffle or giveaway item that will help boost attendance. We throw a big annual party with a band, face painters and balloon benders, food vendor(s), an “open house,” and multiple vendors with display tables/booths and all-day seminars, including upcoming travel destinations. Again, publicity and a crowd can generate publicity for you. Don’t be afraid to ask for sponsorship dollars from your vendors to participate. They may not give you any, but you never know unless you ask.

We do pay for a lot of advertising. We do billboards (both electronic and static), radio ads, television ads, lots of internet and social media work, lots of high quality printed brochures in the stores. One of our commercials runs on the big HD screen at the Century Link Arena in Omaha at Creighton University basketball games, University of Nebraska hockey games, concerts, the Olympic Swim Trials, volleyball games, etc. We are training morning drive radio personalities to dive and sending them on our trips, currently one to Cozumel. We get more mileage out of their banter and excitement on the air than our paid radio ads. And, by the way, radio ads do work for us…very well. We do morning drive time for swim lessons for parents driving their kids to school, scuba on sports talk and both on a wrap-up show after NU Cornhusker Football games—believe it or not, there are a LOT of Husker fans in Nebraska. Media buys are not cheap and need to be carefully considered for content and run times, but they do work. We do very little print media any more other than some local publications and magazines directed to young mothers. Those are pretty affordable but most print ads these days don’t seem to generate much attention or sales. Our company vehicles are all logoed and kept clean. Our store signs are the tallest allowed by local ordinances and are colorful and well-designed. Everything we can put a logo on has one. Branding, baby.

We also have a world-class zoo with an amazing aquarium. You won’t be surprised to know that, in return for some foundation donations, free air fills for their volunteer diver program and co-marketing for events, we have our name on an interactive coral reef play station for kids.

We do pre and post-trip parties with refreshments, power-point presentations, shirt and ticket distribution (we do shirts as a part of the package for every trip and print a few extras. You might see them on locals in Coz, the Bay Islands, the Philippines, Australia, Cuba…you get the picture). And speaking of pictures, all post-trip parties have photo contests where you can win…drum roll, please…shirts with our logos on them!

So, like I said, we believe in marketing. And there are lots of other things we do. I’ll be happy to share them with you because I firmly believe that more divers create more opportunity for all of us. Come visit, steal all the ideas, brochures, etc. that you want. And share your ideas with us. We’re constantly looking for new approaches. Like I said, I get up in the morning thinking about marketing.

We’ve done pretty well doing what we do in this realm and we’d be happy to have you come see how it’s working. We’ll be thrilled to meet you. I’ll give you everything we do and you can put your logo on it.

Now we can talk about the wonderful world of vendor relations…

---------- Post added January 15th, 2014 at 12:58 PM ----------

Seriously? I killed this thread?

I genuinely choose my LDS based on how much banter the staff engage in, I doubt you can convey that in an appropriate marketing strategy. I've switched LDS due to the banter-o-meter slipping too low for too long, oh and I also demand that there is beer in a fridge somewhere on the premises!

Reactions: RJP
Seriously? I killed this thread?

Sounds like you are doing all of the hard work parts that make a small business with a large asset (pool) work for you. I think that many folks are facing the reality that it does take hard work to make it work. When many of us started in the 80's, it was automatic, put out a sign and the people will come. Who wants diving to be a job?

Reactions: RJP
But here's how some things work for us:

Wow, was this a great look at the highly effective running of a dive business! :clapping:

Told ya... No one really wants to talk/do anything about marketing.

I think that many folks are facing the reality that it does take hard work to make it work.

I run my own business of a completely different type. I believe that no matter what your business is, you need to always be working on at least one of the following: You're doing the actual work that you opened the business to do, and/or you're developing/growing/adapting/strengthening the business itself so that you continue to have the work that you wanted to do in the first place.

If you have more work than you can manage, you can lighten up (but not stop) the work of keeping the business healthy; if you don't have enough work, you're putting every spare resource into building the business. It never stops, but if you're passionate enough about your work, you'll have the drive for it.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 10:17 AM ----------

It occurs to me, considering mjrob's excellent post, that the best way to keep diving a growing and relevant sport is for each dive business to market itself VERY effectively. If you have such a business and you make yourself highly visible in your community, you make diving highly visible in your community. It isn't just that the divers find you more easily, but that more people get prompted to give diving a thought when they otherwise may not have. Anything at all that your community sees you doing will give them a thought of diving which they would otherwise not have had. It's a numbers game: get your name and the idea of diving in front of them many times over months and years, and eventually, the idea will begin to gel for a number of them.

It's not at all unusual for me to get clients who have been thinking about calling me for TWO YEARS. They think of me that long (instead of forgetting me after the first passing thought) because my name keeps passing in front of them due to my public speaking and writing. Because of the ways I market my practice, people are much more aware of me, but they are also much more aware of the issues on which I work. Double win.

It made me very sad to read mrjob's post. We have been TRYING to talk our LDS into doing some of the things that require mostly time and little money (recognizing that money can be quite tight) and we have never gotten any buy-in at all.

It's my experience, with the dive shops we have in the Seattle area, that most of them are like spiderwebs. A sullen spider sits in the middle of a small, dark web and gets more and more morose because he doesn't catch anything.

I genuinely choose my LDS based on how much banter the staff engage in, I doubt you can convey that in an appropriate marketing strategy. I've switched LDS due to the banter-o-meter slipping too low for too long, oh and I also demand that there is beer in a fridge somewhere on the premises!

Exactly! Communication, camaraderie, customer care...all of them matter. It's innate among our people that anyone coming in the door is greeted immediately--and not with, "Can I help you?" "Hey, let's go diving," "Wouldn't it be a great day to be diving in XXXXXX!" "Wow, it's freezing out there...wanna bet it's better in the Caribbean (or Australia or Florida or wherever) today," or just about anything else. It starts a conversation. "Can I help you?" pretty much kills one. The customer experience is everything and it shouldn't be a quick sale but a relationship-building exchange.

I can tell you this: pretty much nobody walks in a dive shop with the intention of not buying anything. Often times, the more they talk, the more they buy. Not always, but the odds are in your favor.

And it's a rare day there's not a cold beer in the refrigerators around here. And cookies, sodas, pies, chips and dip, popcorn...:D

By the way, the wind is howling and it's sleeting in Omaha right now. People are still shopping, though.

By the way, the wind is howling and it's sleeting in Omaha right now. People are still shopping, though.

And thinking about being "in the Caribbean (or Australia or Florida or wherever) today".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom