Marker buoy for search & recovery dive in PADI advanced open water course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danielization

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

I was told to get a marker buoy for the search and recovery dive under the PADI advanced open course. It's not the sausage buoy (SMB) that I'm referring to. It's the other kind of buoy used to mark out underwater objects/spots/structures.

Do any of the folks here have any idea if a lindy marker buoy is good enough to handle this?

Or do any of the folks here have a better suggestion on the kind of buoy I should get?

Thanks in advance!

A. Are you sure your instructor didn't tell you to get a Surface Marker Buoy (SMB) with a spool, which is typically considered to be something different from a "sausage" (which you blow up on the surface while an SMB is deployed while underwater). OR, he may be saying, get a lift bag.

B. Talk with the shop/instructor to make sure you understand what is required.

Yeah, doesn't make sense... ask your instructor to clarify and show you an example

You can use a D(elayed, ie deployed underwater)SMB and a spool/reel to mark the location of found objects

There's a lot of confusion about SMBs/DSMBs/Saftey Sausages etc, different people use different terms to refer to the same or similar things

I've never known what *I* would call a marker buoy to be required equipment to purchase for AOW

Back
Top Bottom