Mark Powell’s book on technical diving is finally available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The book is very easy reading. It is humorous in parts. It is a worthy addition to any tec divers library.

His chapter on weighting and trim is definitely worth reading for anyone and particularly students with those types of issues.

The treatment of subjects does vary somewhat. For example there a separate chapter with nine pages on shutdown drills and another 4 page chapter on reaching backmount valves. But the chapter on what is titled technical skills is only three pages and covers dsmb, deco cylinder swapping, and OOG. I would like to see this chapter expanded in detail to the same level as the shutdown and valve reaching chapters.

The book does gloss over some things like the END formula for trimix. The MOD formulas are not in there either. On the other hand, most readers of this book are also likely to have Deco For Divers, which is heavy on formulas.

I think there is room for his next book maybe called: Technical Diving: Advanced Techniques

All in all, a great read and well worth the wait.

Found this bit especially interesting given a recent thread. Hope it’s OK to post a pic of a page

03F05E12-1F68-4B7D-AA32-6FE92025A8DD.jpeg

Forget it! Amazon this morning....

upload_2019-1-16_9-44-26.png

Wow! Maybe hit book sellers directly in the UK. Shipping isn’t that much. Book is well worth it.

Wow! Maybe hit book sellers directly in the UK. Shipping isn’t that much. Book is well worth it.
Amazon UK. Plus shipping.

upload_2019-1-16_10-10-9.png

When I bought my copy on Amazon US, which was shipped from the UK, I got free shipping.

Found this bit especially interesting given a recent thread. Hope it’s OK to post a pic of a page

View attachment 499390

True but we have to look at the global context of this statement. In certain areas of the world, Nitrox is really expensive and the logistics of getting it may not make it worth the few minutes of additional bottom time, specially for no-stop dives. In other parts of the world it is not that much of an expense so it depends where you are and how much it is costing you.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom