maritime trivia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Did you REALLY get number 4 without using a reference? I didn't expect anyone to except possibly AUEMike. That's a really obscure thing.....

WW
Oddly enough that's one of the few I did get (along with 1, 7, 8 and 9 - hmm, a bare pass). Then again, I read Kipling before Dr. Seuss, so it figures I'd catch #4, eh? :D
Didn't know 3 but I'll remember that one - i loathe the things. Great idea, WW - keep 'em coming.

heres an additional question, im sure some of you know it.

part 1

Sister ship to the Bismark ?

Part 2 for those of you who did know it

What was her fate

Andy

It was the tripitz, or something like that. It's sinking had something to do with the british, but I don't remember.

Can I have 1/2 credit?

you meant Tirpitz (not actually sure of the spelling myself!!) and we sent it to the bottom in a Norwegian fjiord by sticking limpit mines to the hull - at least we did in the film!!

No 4. - I thought it was groaning at anyone who sang "Ferry Across the Mersey" when on a boat on the Mersey...

No 8. definitely useful round our office this week as every lunch time is curry this week, I do pity those not partaking...

Jonathan

Tirpitz is the correct ship

The movie was half right.

The british did use miget subs to plant mines on her hull but it didnt sink her, only severly damaged her Sept 22nd 1943.

She was sunk November 12, 1944, in Operation Catechism. 32 Lancaster's Bombers with Tallboys ( large 12,000 lbs bomb i think) two direct hits. And yes it was in a Fjiord.

nice job tho guys

Andy

Even though they did sink the Tirpiz, all the missions sent against her were mostly to keep her at the dock under repairs. The allies did not want a repeat of the Bismark

5- the steamer Dixie was grounded in the Great Labor Day Hurricane of 1935. The passengers sang songs as the awaited rescue or death in 60 foot seas! Today the location is still known as Dixie Shoal. The Speigel Grove lies just seaward of Dixie Shoal.

6- Henry Kendall was capt. of the Empress of Ireland

Thanks for playing.

WW

This one might be a bit tricky....

In maritime lore, who was Hendrik van der Decken?

WW

trymixdiver once bubbled...
heres an additional question, im sure some of you know it.

part 1

Sister ship to the Bismark ?

Part 2 for those of you who did know it

What was her fate

Andy

the "Tirpitz"

sunk at her dock during an air raid, flipped and sank, broken up for scrap shortly thereafter.

oh, and I thought the bad luck food was apricots?? I know submariners forbid apricots on board.

canuckdiver once bubbled...
oh, and I thought the bad luck food was apricots?? I know submariners forbid apricots on board.

Bananas was the answer. Interestly enough I read something today about U.S. M1A1 tank crews in the Persion Gulf having bad feelings about apricots. Its on one of the big news sites, dunno if CNN, CBS, or Fox.

WW

Back
Top Bottom