maritime trivia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A couple of maritime trivia questions, some easy, some not so. Please try to answer without using reference books or search engines!

1- Who is/was Ernest McSorley?

2- What was the greatest loss of life by shipwreck?

3- What food is considered bad luck aboard boats by many persons?

4- What is the "Birkenhead drill"?

5- This large ship was stranded off Key Largo in 1935, today her name marks the location? Name ship and location.

6- Who is/was Henry Kendall?

7- Prior to the advent of "SOS", what was the primary wireless distress signal used at sea?

8- Whose ship was "Queen Anne's Revenge"?

9- What is the "Beaufort scale" used to measure?

10- What wreck is known as the "Titanic of the Caribbean"?

scuberd once bubbled...
8. Blackbead

that's all I know, I guess I fail the test

What was his real name?

oops... never mind :)

I am getting old......

I use to know a few of them but now all I can remember is that I once knew the answer. :(

Chad

PS. Cool quiz. I am looking forward to hearing the answers......again.

1. Ernest McSorely: Captain of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald, a freighter which sank in Lake Superior in 1975. (Edit: oops...that's a mund, not a ward).

2. Wilhelm Gustloff, a German steamer, sunk by a Russian torpedo on January 30, 1945. An estimated 5,900 to 7,000 people died. Some estimate that there were 1,500 soldiers 6,500 refugees aboard, which would bring the toll to 8,000 if all perished.

3. Bananas.

4. Women and children first.

5. No idea.

6. Henry Kendall. MIT professor and 1990 Nobel laureate in physics. Also an environmentalist and a diver. He died in 1999 while diving at Wakulla springs.

7. "C.Q.D." A strict interpretation of the signal would be "all stations, distress.

8. Blackbeard, a.k.a. Edward Teach.

9. A scaled devised for measuring the approximate wind speed or the force of the wind.

10. The Bianca C, off Grenada. Sunk in 1961 with the loss of 1 life.

AzAtty once bubbled...
1. Ernest McSorely: Captain of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald, a freighter which sank in Lake Superior in 1975. (Edit: oops...that's a mund, not a ward).

2. Wilhelm Gustloff, a German steamer, sunk by a Russian torpedo on January 30, 1945. An estimated 5,900 to 7,000 people died. Some estimate that there were 1,500 soldiers 6,500 refugees aboard, which would bring the toll to 8,000 if all perished.

3. Bananas.

4. Women and children first.

5. No idea.

6. Henry Kendall. MIT professor and 1990 Nobel laureate in physics. Also an environmentalist and a diver. He died in 1999 while diving at Wakulla springs.

7. "C.Q.D." A strict interpretation of the signal would be "all stations, distress.

8. Blackbeard, a.k.a. Edward Teach.

9. A scaled devised for measuring the approximate wind speed or the force of the wind.

10. The Bianca C, off Grenada. Sunk in 1961 with the loss of 1 life.

6 is wrong, at least that's not the one I was thinking of. Everything else is right except the one you didn't know.

Did you REALLY get number 4 without using a reference? I didn't expect anyone to except possibly AUEMike. That's a really obscure thing.....

WW

McSorley..Edmund Fitzgerald Captain
Beaufort..Wind force scale
I wish I knew more... Hey, now I do. thanks for the trivia,WW!

AzAtty: you really screwed up the grade curve for dummies like me!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom